Windows 10 Keyboard and mouse stopped working.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

This happened to me this evening.

I booted my computer and neither the keyboard of mouse was detected, I had to hard shutdown the computer because I had no way to interact with it.

I did this 3 times and the same thing happened.

Then pulled the plugs out for both the mouse and keyboard and plugged them back in and, they both started working again.

I've rebooted twice and it seems to be OK now, but anyone have any idea what's going on.

I checked the drivers for both and they were all up to date.

Mike

If that happens again would you mind shutting down and then turning off the psu. Once off hold power for 10 seconds, then turn it all back on and see if the mouse and keyboard works.

Hi Mike;
Could be a hardware fault. You run diags on your Mobo, RAM, HDDs?

You can also pick up a handy-dandy PSU tester, which I use for about $15 to test your PSU. I carry one with me in my backpack whenever I go to a Customer onsite location. As here: Ultra 7-in-1 Power Supply Tester-tests motherboards, SATA, P4/EPS, more NEW | eBay
Of course, it's not as accurate as using a DMM, but it's a quick look to see if any of your voltage rails are seriously off.

Or if you have a spare PSU, you could swap out and try to reboot and see if the problem abates or persists. If problem persists, your current PSU might have an intermittent or short in it or a diode or transistor that's leaking and not holding voltage properly. A different known good PSU would rule that out if the problem abates.:fdance:

If the problem persists even with a new PSU in there, you'll have to run full HW diags on all your components as above, as you could have a weird Mobo failure. Make sure that you unseat and re-seat all your RAM sticks, and clean the contacts and blow out the RAM sockets while you're doing so.

Let us know how it goes.
<<<BBJ>>>

I've rebooted twice and it seems to be OK now, but anyone have any idea what's going on.
does system reboot (as different to shut down and start back up) give different results... i.e, was the system a sleep | hibernating at the time?

Hi

No the system was shut down.
It has kept working but I need to see if it's because I changed USB ports.

Today I realized that my camera wasn't working either and changing ports made that start, but I didn't try something else in the same port.

Mike

are there different usb speeds i.e, usb 2 ports have the issue but the usb 3 port does not?

There are different port speeds, but the things that were plugged in were working and then just stopped.
Tomorrow I'll try plugging some other devices into those ports as see if they are detected.

This did happen shortly after tearing my system down to get new carpet and then setting it back up again, so it's likely that things aren't plugged into the same ports.

Every thing has continued to work after switching ports.

Back