Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Laptop Brands

dustymars

I have used Dell laptops and desktops since the 1980s and have been mostly satisfied with them. However, in mid-2022, I bought an Insprion 3510, because it was fast and had Windows 11 (yes, the best free windows). It turned out to be the fastest and most efficient laptop I ever owned, but the screen hinges are absolutely the worst ever. Last year, the left hinge froze up and when I opened the screen lid it broke the lid Bessel and ripped the ribbon cable up, and it went blank, so because it was still under warrantee, I called and they came out and fixed it.

Now, the warrantee is out and my left hinge broke again. Besides a crummy design, the lubrication must be sandy. I simply taped it to the open position with aluminum duct tape and will just leave it open. I will have to hide it in the front bedroom because of our cats love to break stuff. So, I looked at Dells' newer laptops, and they all have a poorly designed screen hinge and wide gap at the bottom of the screen, so I am considering another brand.

How do rate laptop brands? I know people who have Hp, Acre, Lenovo and other brands and seem happy with them. No, I will not do Apple MACS, never used one that I liked. Any suggestions

V. 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3593)

It sounds like you've had quite an experience with your Dell Inspiron 3510. Screen hinge issues can indeed be very frustrating, especially when they affect the usability of your laptop. Given your situation, here's a comparison of some of the major laptop brands you mentioned, which might help you make an informed decision:

BrandBuild QualityCustomer SupportPerformanceCommon IssuesHinge Design
HP (Hewlett-Packard)Generally good; robust design on many modelsFairly responsiveWide range from budget to high-performance (e.g., Spectre, Envy, OMEN series)Battery life and heating concerns on some modelsMixed; better hinges on business models like EliteBook
LenovoExceptional, especially in ThinkPad seriesGenerally good, dedicated support siteWide range from budget to high-end (e.g., ThinkPad, Yoga, Legion series)Occasional keyboard issues on certain modelsRobust; ThinkPad series known for strong hinges
AcerHit or miss, varies significantlyCould be improved in some regionsWide range from budget to high-performance (e.g., Swift, Predator series)Performance throttling and build quality issues on some budget modelsGenerally decent but some budget models may not be robust

Recommendations:

1. Define your primary needs:

- If you need a laptop primarily for business use, consider the Lenovo ThinkPad series for durability and reliable performance.
- For multimedia use or gaming, you might want to look into HP's Spectre or OMEN series, or Lenovo's Legion series.
- For general use, the Acer Swift series offers a good balance between performance and mobility at a fair price point.

2. Check reviews and professional assessments:
- Websites like NotebookCheck, Tom's Hardware, and Digital Trends offer in-depth reviews and comparisons.

3. Look at after-sales support and warranty:
- Customer service quality can vary greatly between brands and models. Look into extended warranty options if you are concerned about support.

I hope this comparison helps you in choosing your next laptop. If you have specific needs or questions about certain models, feel free to ask!

I have used Dell laptops and desktops since the 1980s and have been mostly satisfied with them. However, in mid-2022, I bought an Insprion 3510, because it was fast and had Windows 11 (yes, the best free windows). It turned out to be the fastest and most efficient laptop I ever owned, but the screen hinges are absolutely the worst ever. Last year, the left hinge froze up and when I opened the screen lid it broke the lid Bessel and ripped the ribbon cable up, and it went blank, so because it was still under warrantee, I called and they came out and fixed it.

Now, the warrantee is out and my left hinge broke again. Besides a crummy design, the lubrication must be sandy. I simply taped it to the open position with aluminum duct tape and will just leave it open. I will have to hide it in the front bedroom because of our cats love to break stuff. So, I looked at Dells' newer laptops, and they all have a poorly designed screen hinge and wide gap at the bottom of the screen, so I am considering another brand.

How do rate laptop brands? I know people who have Hp, Acre, Lenovo and other brands and seem happy with them. No, I will not do Apple MACS, never used one that I liked. Any suggestions

V. 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3593)
I'm on the XPS 15 9510 which came out a few years ago and its very good. I would not really consider Acer. If I had to choose an alternative it would be a ThinkPad.

Very nice post, ChatGPT, I will study it to help me decide when and if I decide to get something new. Due to a boat load of medical costs lately I have to watch my spending. Getting old costs us a lot theses days. I find even after all the years working on, designing and fiddling with computers I still have to learn.

Thanks for the post and suggestions, Mike, will think on it.

Dell and Hp are the same thing... cheap systems made in bulk for a company to buy by the 100s so each staff member has the same system
Acer is a knock off of Asus and Asus was the best for years but they have stopped putting in the effort they used to so if you are not gaming i wouldn't recommend them anymore
Lenovo is the cheapest parts around
Apple MACS used to be well made a very long time ago and Macs users got used to paying 4X the price for the same parts in a Windows system... things are a little better now with M1 and M2 but they are still 1/2 the power for 3 times the $

Dell and Hp are the same thing... cheap systems made in bulk for a company to buy by the 100s so each staff member has the same system
Acer is a knock off of Asus and Asus was the best for years but they have stopped putting in the effort they used to so if you are not gaming i wouldn't recommend them anymore
Lenovo is the cheapest parts around
Apple MACS used to be well made a very long time ago and Macs users got used to paying 4X the price for the same parts in a Windows system... things are a little better now with M1 and M2 but they are still 1/2 the power for 3 times the $
I can't help but to believe you. In earlier years I would buy a higher end laptop, but now retired 23 years and not using my PC for actual work I am a cheap-wad. :cool: For what I do with this 3510 it will last until the duck tape comes off and the lid crashes to the floor, or my cats run into it and finishes it for good. :oops:

While I am a tight-wad, el-cheap-o PC buyer, there is just no excuse for this design flaw even with cheaper Dell laptops (See image). The gap at the bottom of the screen lid and the PC base can grasp the charger cord or anything else easily without being noticed and if one closes said lid then snap and pop goes the hinge screws. Or, in my first hinge break it was the hinge that ceased up as I closed the screen lid and out came the screws. That also tore the ribbon cable in two and blank goes the screen. The Dell tech and I fixed it with new parts and hinges. He told me that I was not even close to the first to have this same problem. The problem is the second hinge break was totally caused by the hinge ceasing up, period. Even the cost of this laptop should include a better designed hinge, lid case system, even by China slave labor standards.

Dell3510ScreenLid.jpg

Back