laptop mouse won't work after factory settings restore

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by kkay, Nov 19, 2010.

1. kkay

kkay Well-Known Member

I had to do a factory restore on my Gateway laptop. It is just a couple of months old. Anyway, I just put it back on factory settings. The mouse worked then. It worked for a long time this evening after I was updating windows, and then I installed the anti virus program. Then I noticed the mouse did not work. I unplugged it and replugged it into the usb slot. (sometimes the red optical light comes on, most of the time not) When I tried to plug it in the third time it saw the mouse, but for some reason it thought it needed a driver. As windows was looking for a driver, it said my mouse was unplugged. I don't know what to think. When I look up the mouse in Device Manager, all I see is the touchpad. I tried to find a driver on Toshiba website,because that is the brand of the mouse. I did not find one. I tried to Add A Device, but it did not find the mouse. Any ideas?

#1 kkay, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

Hey...

Start by going to Gateway's site for your laptop and downloading the latest chipset driver package and install it. Reboot and see how it goes.

3. kkay

kkay Well-Known Member

A chip set driver? I will have to look that up. The laptop is a Gateway, but the usb laptop mouse is a Toshiba.

4. kkay

kkay Well-Known Member

Do you mean a bios update? If so I did not see one. Nor did I see anything worded like chip set. I did see a launch manager driver update.

5. kkay

kkay Well-Known Member

My daughter tried the mouse in her computer. It did not recognize the mouse either. So the mouse is trash. I hate it when you buy something new like that, and it doesn't even last 3 months. I won't be buying a Toshiba product again. I bought a computer from Toshiba, and it had a hard drive problem.(it couldn't create the disks, so I never even used it on the internet) Long story. Anyway, I sent the computer back to them. I had also purchased a mouse. Well that is two for two. So far I have been happy with this Gateway. My daughter has a Gateway laptop too, and she has had no problems with it. I have had HP computers in the past. This is my first Gateway. I have a 10 dollar coupon for Best Buy, so I guess I will just go pick up a new one. I have used a Logitech mouse on my desktop computer, and loved it...ergonomic. But I cannot have that for a laptop mouse. If anyone knows of a dependable mouse for a laptop that is not too high, please post asap. I am going to the store in a while to get a new one. I am throwing the Toshiba mouse in the trash. I did like it up until last night, oh well.

I got a Microsoft Wireless 6000. As I installed the software it said the mouse can only be used on this computer. Wow. I can see this for a operating system, but a MOUSE? LOL. What will they think of next? I installed the software. Then I put in the battery as it said. The next thing I know it is downloading more software for the mouse. I think it was just updating. Then it said if I had another pointing device, I guess mouse, that I should uninstall that software. As long as the mouse is working properly, which is seems to be I don't want to mess with it. The Toshiba mouse just plugged into the usb port. The Microsoft mouse is a wireless. It has Blue Track technology. It is more comfortable than the other mouse. I guess I will look at the device manager to see if more than one mouse is displayed. I doubt if it is, but I will check.

#5 kkay, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010