Windows 7 laptop mouse won't work after factory settings restore

kkay

I had to do a factory restore on my Gateway laptop. It is just a couple of months old. Anyway, I just put it back on factory settings. The mouse worked then. It worked for a long time this evening after I was updating windows, and then I installed the anti virus program. Then I noticed the mouse did not work. I unplugged it and replugged it into the usb slot. (sometimes the red optical light comes on, most of the time not) When I tried to plug it in the third time it saw the mouse, but for some reason it thought it needed a driver. As windows was looking for a driver, it said my mouse was unplugged. I don't know what to think. When I look up the mouse in Device Manager, all I see is the touchpad. I tried to find a driver on Toshiba website,because that is the brand of the mouse. I did not find one. I tried to Add A Device, but it did not find the mouse. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hey...

Start by going to Gateway's site for your laptop and downloading the latest chipset driver package and install it. Reboot and see how it goes.

A chip set driver? I will have to look that up. The laptop is a Gateway, but the usb laptop mouse is a Toshiba.

Do you mean a bios update? If so I did not see one. Nor did I see anything worded like chip set. I did see a launch manager driver update.

My daughter tried the mouse in her computer. It did not recognize the mouse either. So the mouse is trash. I hate it when you buy something new like that, and it doesn't even last 3 months. I won't be buying a Toshiba product again. I bought a computer from Toshiba, and it had a hard drive problem.(it couldn't create the disks, so I never even used it on the internet) Long story. Anyway, I sent the computer back to them. I had also purchased a mouse. Well that is two for two. So far I have been happy with this Gateway. My daughter has a Gateway laptop too, and she has had no problems with it. I have had HP computers in the past. This is my first Gateway. I have a 10 dollar coupon for Best Buy, so I guess I will just go pick up a new one. I have used a Logitech mouse on my desktop computer, and loved it...ergonomic. But I cannot have that for a laptop mouse. If anyone knows of a dependable mouse for a laptop that is not too high, please post asap. I am going to the store in a while to get a new one. I am throwing the Toshiba mouse in the trash. I did like it up until last night, oh well.

I got a Microsoft Wireless 6000. As I installed the software it said the mouse can only be used on this computer. Wow. I can see this for a operating system, but a MOUSE? LOL. What will they think of next? I installed the software. Then I put in the battery as it said. The next thing I know it is downloading more software for the mouse. I think it was just updating. Then it said if I had another pointing device, I guess mouse, that I should uninstall that software. As long as the mouse is working properly, which is seems to be I don't want to mess with it. The Toshiba mouse just plugged into the usb port. The Microsoft mouse is a wireless. It has Blue Track technology. It is more comfortable than the other mouse. I guess I will look at the device manager to see if more than one mouse is displayed. I doubt if it is, but I will check.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom