Windows 7 Laptop restarts on windows startup

nolem

As the title says, my laptop is restarting itself on windows (7, 64-bit) start up. Sometimes it manages to fully load up but then within 10 minutes it will suddenly restart.

I can load safe mode with no issues and even after running it for a period of time it does not seem to shut down. I tried starting it up only the basic microsoft startup services but it still crashed.

I've run chkdsk, startup repair and some hardware memory diagnostic thing and they all came back fine.

Laptop has been in to get serviced and they told me they found nothing wrong with it and sent it back. I start it up and within 5 seconds of it trying to load windows it restarts.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions of how to solve this? Getting very frustrated here and not sure how to fix it.

Oh, also, I've tried to reinstall windows but it freezes during installation.

Here are some system specs:

System Manufacturer: Toshiba
System Model: Satellite A300
Processer: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @2.40ghz
Memory: 4GB RAM

Last edited:
It could be a BSOD and if you have your system set to automatically restart on error you may not see the error screen. Have a look at control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery. Make sure the box to automatically restart on error is unchecked. This won't solve the problem but will enable you to see any error message being displayed.

I've tried that and there's no change. It still just restarts with no error message =[

I have seen such activity when the boot system gets misdirected due to some misalignment of the startup routine. Have you used any other OSes on the system? On newer systems, something like this might occur if an MBR install was done on a UEFI system.

If you want, you might open an administrative command prompt and type bcdedit. Use the snipping tool to take a picture and attach using the paperclip. It may not contain any relevant information, but we migh see something.

Edit: The activity I refer to usually happens right at boot initiation. If it gets all the way to loading Windows, it might be more of what Pat is suggesting. Maybe using MSconfig to start the boot log would show something, if it isn't overwritten during the subsequent boot.

Last edited:
just as an idea, it could be verifier??, verfier will restart the computer on normal boot and will auto restart the pc, it will also allow to boot in safe mode too?

try this im not saying it will work but hey, give it a go, when your pc starts up hold f8, select safe mode with command promt... when the black box comes up type without the speach marks " verifier /reset " hit enter and restart, also as above it mentionss the MBR , you can repair this by doing these commands in the black box as mentioned above, each are seperate commands

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrex.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixboot

Thanks guys I'll try those solutions and see how we go. Just turned laptop on and got a bsod for the first time before I could even get into safe mode. Didn't catch the error code or anything though. I hadn't changed the automatic restart on system crash setting so the bsod Happened without me changing anything

just as an idea, it could be verifier??, verfier will restart the computer on normal boot and will auto restart the pc, it will also allow to boot in safe mode too?

try this im not saying it will work but hey, give it a go, when your pc starts up hold f8, select safe mode with command promt... when the black box comes up type without the speach marks " verifier /reset " hit enter and restart, also as above it mentionss the MBR , you can repair this by doing these commands in the black box as mentioned above, each are seperate commands

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrex.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixboot

When I typed verifier/reset it said "no settings were changed"
For the bootrec ones it tells me "bootrec.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I have seen such activity when the boot system gets misdirected due to some misalignment of the startup routine. Have you used any other OSes on the system? On newer systems, something like this might occur if an MBR install was done on a UEFI system.

If you want, you might open an administrative command prompt and type bcdedit. Use the snipping tool to take a picture and attach using the paperclip. It may not contain any relevant information, but we migh see something.

Edit: The activity I refer to usually happens right at boot initiation. If it gets all the way to loading Windows, it might be more of what Pat is suggesting. Maybe using MSconfig to start the boot log would show something, if it isn't overwritten during the subsequent boot.

When I first got the laptop it had vista on it. I bought windows 7 and installed the 32bit version on it and a few months ago I upgraded to 64bit. Could this be the problem as it wasn't doing this when I had 32bit installed? Although when I initially installed 64bit there were no issues
View attachment ntbtlog.txt
When I try and run bcedit in cmd prompt it says it is not recognized as a command bla bla

edit: i attached a copy of the bootlog

Last edited:
i take it its a legit version of windows 7 therefor you should have the disc

in my inital post i started to write and went to get a cup of T then came back and realised what i put lol, you need to boot from the windows CD and then when it loads you can select command promt from the list of options,

my apologies

Back
Top Bottom