Windows 7 Large file transfer freeze

fifthmanstandin

Ok. Currently I'm running an Everex Stepnote N Series laptop model NM 3500 W, 32 bit windows 7 Old piece of crap. I've upgraded to windows 7 recently and had nothing but trouble with this thing.
The biggest problem is transferring files. I have a large file, approx 50 gigs to move. I plugin the external, boot it up, drag/drop the file and it works fine for about 3 minutes before freezing the computer entirely, killing the transfer in the process. The only way to make the system respond is to hold the power button until shutdown. I ran msconfig and killed all other system processes in the background, suggestion by google, and it still screws up in the same way, ever time, like clockwork.

Any ideas?

Use something like CCleaner or do it manually, delete the contents of all Temp folders may help you, as it has me a couple of times. But that's one big file (folder?). Possibly split it up into smaller lumps?

I tried to put it in safe mode and transfer, the good news, well it transferred the entire 50 gig file. Until I looked at the contents. It seemed it randomly picked folders to just not transfer. It was like 'oh I don't like this artist' no transfer, for about half the file.

I just installed that hotfix you suggested....it's now telling me 8 hours and 30 minutes....for a measly 50 gigs. What the hell? This is the same HD I transfer 100 gigs in 30 minutes off of.

1. I've read that Kaspersky 2010 internet security could be the culprit.

2. Could be a low power supply. (Set in BIOS or physically)

3. 1 TB Hitachi drive can be an issue.

4. You can try a fix patch from Microsoft: You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM

1) no antivirus at all.
2) used this laptop with xp prior to windows 7. The drive is fine. I use it for all my computers. The laptop never had this problem with XP.
3)250 gig internal laptop drive. 80 gig maxtor external drive.

Look i'm sorry but why the hell is this occurring in a major OS? should this not have been eliminated in Beta? Who makes a product that has a bug like this AND IS NOT AN UNCOMMONLY OCCURRING ONE EITHER and lets it get to release? I mean seriously. This is beyond ridiculous.

oh and it just froze.

edit: it froze, i booted up in safe mode, attempted the same transfer, new calculated time is 4.5 hours. Still ridiculous.

Last edited:
Look i'm sorry but why the hell is this occurring in a major OS? should this not have been eliminated in Beta? Who makes a product that has a bug like this AND IS NOT AN UNCOMMONLY OCCURRING ONE EITHER and lets it get to release? I mean seriously. This is beyond ridiculous.

Because you didn't update your motherboard bios to your admittedly ancient laptop and you didn't update the external drive firmware. (And I'm not entirely sure which patch you installed. The one I or Zvit suggested.)

(The MS patches fix 3rd party created issues - Intel, NVIDIA.)

It's not the OS fault, so it is in your best interest not to blame it here.

If your external drive is part of some other enclosure, that too is a likely issue here as those are generally hardware problematic.

Last edited:
If you want me to look over your machine, type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file then attach the zip to a post.

Again though, I must recommend that you update the firmware to the ext. drive and the bios to the laptop itself. These are a must if you want anything to be solved...along with what I'll tell you after looking at the zipped report.

View attachment comp.nfoI just tried to do that and it froze. Maybe this is not a file transfer issue but an issue with freezing during a certain amount of activity. Which could be a lot of things. I've got the original install disc for the laptop with drivers but I can't for the life of me find the drivers on the cd.

edit: booted to safemode, snagged the .nfo for you.

Last edited:
1) Install the newest driver here to update your Atheros AR5005G wireless driver, which yours is currently right now from 6/19/2009:

Drivers for Atheros AR5005G and Windows 7

2) Update your VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter driver from this link, which is yours is currently right now from 6/10/2009:

VIA Drivers Download - VIA Technologies, Inc.

Look in your laptop manual if you aren't sure which to download.

3) Also update VIA SATA and also IDE drivers from the link in the previous step. Again, check your manual if you don't know which to download.

4) Here is Everex's site to download and install the latest bios:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

5) Don't forget to update firmware of external storage drive.

4) Here is Everex's site to download and install the latest bios:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Yeah that's where I was encountering the driver problem. When you go to everex's site and select the model ,nothing happens. They took it down awhile back. Once I've selected the model there's no popup no nothing.

Back