Windows 8 Like & Would Like

Drew

Banned
I sure do like (NOW) being able to Pin Store APPs to the Taskbar AND (NOW) together w/ having the Taskbar on all screens, w/ you @ all times, as it should be; only makes sense, really.

I would like to see a 'Cog' icon on the Taskbar. It would give Settings but, dedicated, proprietary, same as the Charms Bar, according to whatever is on the screen. Would be no need to pop out Charms if ITS 'Cog' was, already, on the Taskbar.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

"I would like to see a 'Gear' icon on the Taskbar. It would give Settings but, dedicated, proprietary, same as the Charms Bar, according to whatever is on the screen. Would be no need to pop out Charms (as often) if ITS 'Gear' was, already, on the Taskbar."

I suggest to you we may well see this in the near future.

Cheers,
Drew

Just might be, "Well, gee, I remember way back when some fellow, Drew, saying..." ;)

No, what I described cannot be done, now. And I have, already, discussed it w/ Microsoft. What you are describing, we, already, know can be done but, it is NOT what I described. THAT is for PC Settings, ONLY and pertains only to the computer (settings).

Remember, the Charms Bar is dedicated to whatever is on the screen @ the moment. Settings from it correspond to the application on the screen @ the time.

What I put to Microsoft & they are working on it is... a Settings icon on the Taskbar BUT, it will be dedicated to whatever (application) is on the screen @ the time, similar to the Charms Bar behavior.

This is quite different from what you mention that can, indeed, be done, now.

So glad I shared the 8.2 article w/ everyone :)

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

I see. I think it is good as it is right now because the charms bar is accessible on both modern and desktop environment. The taskbar is not accessible on modern ui and everyone is so used to the control panel method of settings in desktop. Any new method will take at least 5 years before users start adapting and using it. And generally, nobody uses settings that often to make it easily accessible in the taskbar.

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

You sure do enjoy being negative to everything I submit. and, again, we are not talking about the same 'Settings'. You are talking about the PC Settings. But, what I & Microsoft are talking about is a (settings) Gear that, like the one in Charms, will be dedicated to whatever (application) is on the screen @ that moment. Big difference.

The other point you are ignoring is many people don't like things that pop out, like Charms. They have been using Desktop & Taskbar for years and that is a familiar comfort zone for them. Ergo, if things are on the good ole Taskbar it won't take them 5 minutes not, 5 years, yeeeesh. People deserve more credit than that. It's just a computer Operating System not, flying the Space Shuttle.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

What negative? This is a forum. A place for discussion. I am simply making comments and not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with you. If you see my post as negative you are entitled to your own opinion. And I am entitled to agree or disagree with anyone if I want to. You should have locked the comment options if you don't wanna discuss this.

I hate charms bar too. I am just saying that if the feature you want is already in the charms bar, there is no need for a redundant icon. But if the charms bar is not present in desktop after 8.2 then that might be an idea.

Last edited:
... The other point you are ignoring is many people don't like things that pop out, like Charms. They have been using Desktop & Taskbar for years and that is a familiar comfort zone for them. Ergo, if things are on the good ole Taskbar it won't take them 5 minutes not, 5 years, yeeeesh. People deserve more credit than that. It's just a computer Operating System not, flying the Space Shuttle. ...
I understand what you're saying regarding people not liking things that pop out such as the Charms bar but I find it kind of humorous that the Title bar that pops down from the top of the screen or the Task bar that pops up from the bottom of the screen is more acceptable than the Charms that pop out from the side. I don't think it's the popping out that people don't like, it's the popping out from the side that is different and people tend to dislike things that are different. It really isn't different though since you could always drag the Task bar over the to left or right side of the screen, enable auto-hide and you would have a Task bar that pops out from the side.

As far as your idea to have a context-sensitive Settings icon placed on the Task bar, I don't think the Task bar is the right place for it. It seems to me that it would be more appropriate to add it to the Title bar. The Title bar is specific to the current app while the Task bar isn't.

Last edited:
Strollin, that's what I have in mind too. It should be within the app window itself if that's what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom