Windows 7 limited connection problem :(

MarkMMA

hey guys, so i'm having this problem for sometime now, with no luck...

i got a limited connection on my laptop which doesn't let me connect to the internet at all, it's not the signal because i have full bars, the troubleshooting says "there might be a problem with your driver" not sure what to do :S

We need to examine your IP configuration - go to a command prompt and enter:

ipconfig /all

and post the output here please.

hmm am posting on the wrong forum, sorry i just signed up lol.. can a mod move this to windows 7 help and support please?

PC manufacturers often post updated drivers on their support site. What is the brand and model of your PC?

Hi

I assume you are connecting through a wireless router.

If it's your own router try resetting it, also you can go into device manager and find and uninstall your Network adapter.
When you reboot Windows will detect it and install a working driver for it and configure it.

Windows is usually pretty good at this, when you install Windows it connects to the internet before you ever get to the desktop all on it's own.

Badrobots idea of getting a new driver from HP should work too, if the driver is the problem.

Sometimes I've found that just going into the Network and Sharing Center, (right click on the icon on your task bar) and clicking on Change Adapter Settings, then disabling the connection, waiting a few seconds and then re-enabling it will work too.

Mike

Sometimes I've found that just going into the Network and Sharing Center, (right click on the icon on your task bar) and clicking on Change Adapter Settings, then disabling the connection, waiting a few seconds and then re-enabling it will work too.

This always works for me too. If you know you haven't done anything that will mess up your connection, just like a PC, just restart it. And disabling-enabling the adapter is the way to do it.

Hi

I assume you are connecting through a wireless router.

If it's your own router try resetting it, also you can go into device manager and find and uninstall your Network adapter.
When you reboot Windows will detect it and install a working driver for it and configure it.

Windows is usually pretty good at this, when you install Windows it connects to the internet before you ever get to the desktop all on it's own.

Badrobots idea of getting a new driver from HP should work too, if the driver is the problem.

Mike
i tried all of this awhile ago, none worked

Hi

Try this, open the command prompt and type...

ping yohoo.com

Make sure you have a valid connection.

If that works open Internet Options in control panel and go to Connections, LAN Settings, check to make sure it's set to...
Automatically Detect Settings.

This setting often gets hijacked by malware.
If you don't already have it download and run Malwarebytes.

Let us know how that goes.

What browser are you using?
Have you tried any others?
Can you access your email client?

Mike

Hi

Try this, open the command prompt and type...

ping yohoo.com

Make sure you have a valid connection.

If that works open Internet Options in control panel and go to Connections, LAN Settings, check to make sure it's set to...
Automatically Detect Settings.

This setting often gets hijacked by malware.
If you don't already have it download and run Malwarebytes.

Let us know how that goes.

What browser are you using?
Have you tried any others?
Can you access your email client?

Mike
it says "Ping request could not find host yohoo.com. Please check the name and try again."

i can't connect to the internet on that laptop at all, doesn't matter what browser, when i trouble shoot it says "there might be a problem with the driver for the wireless network connection adapter" .. internet works fine with all other laptops, pcs etc

Hi

Sorry that should say "Ping Yahoo.com" or you can do Comcast.net.

I'd still check the LAN settings if you haven't done it.

I would really expect that uninstalling the network device in Device Manager and rebooting would fix it if the problem was something related to the driver, a basic Windows driver that it loads by default should work.

It should look something like this...

DeviceManager_zps2913466e.jpg

Can you plug the computer into the cable directly and see if that works?

Mike

Hi

Sorry that should say "Ping Yahoo.com" or you can do Comcast.net.

I'd still check the LAN settings if you haven't done it.

I would really expect that uninstalling the network device in Device Manager and rebooting would fix it if the problem was something related to the driver, a basic Windows driver that it loads by default should work.

It should look something like this...

DeviceManager_zps2913466e.jpg

Can you plug the computer into the cable directly and see if that works?

Mike
i tried that before, but i tried again anyway now after rebooting it say installing driver was unsuccessful

Hi

Have you run Malwarebytes to see if you have some kind of infection.
I don't know what would cause Windows to not be able to install a default driver of some sort. but maybe some kind of malware could do it.

Other then it being a physical problem of some kind, I'm running out of ideas.
If you had a separate network card I'd say take it out and move it to a new slot but I'm guessing it's on you mother board.

Have you tried plugging a network cable directly into the computer to see it that works.

The weird thing is that you show a connection.
If it said no network connection available it wouldn't be so weird.

The only times I've had this myself was when the LAN settings were messed up, (usually because of some kind of Malware) or the router was not working correctly and resetting it was all it took.

Anyway if you haven't already run a complete scan for malware I'd do that next.
You might also try SuperAntiSpyware along with Malwarebytes, both are pretty effective and free.

Mike

idk man, nothing seem to work lol, i uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones that were in the link above and now it doesn't show a connection, after going to "open network and sharing center" then "change adapter setting" i don't see the wireless network connection anymore, only local area connection, i try it with ethernet cable and it still not working, it says enabled but ipv4 and ipv6 connectivity says not connected

Hi

I don't know what else to suggest, the fact that it doesn't see the physical connection means that it's not just an issue with the wireless connection software etc.

It should see the physical connection just by plugging it in.
If it's not a hardware problem you can probably resolve it by backing up all of you data and reinstalling from scratch.

But if it's a hardware thing then it's time for the computer shop.
Fortunately I have a really good computer repair place that doesn't charge an arm and a leg, about 30 miles from where I live.

As I said earlier getting a internet connection is one thing that Windows is really good at.
It's completely automatic and it gets done before you computer boots for the first time.

The only thing I can think to try is, if you didn't already done it, plug in the network cable, uninstall you network adapter again in Device Manager, and reboot and see if Windows will detect the plugged in cable, install the adapter and configure it.

If that doesn't work I'd have to think that there is either something fundamentally wrong in your Windows install, or the network connection is physically broken. I have had this happen, a power surge took out the network connection on my last computer.

Everything else was OK but I had to put in a network card to get it repaired because the one on the mother board was dead.

So I guess the only thing that I can think of is a complete reinstall, or find someone who can physically test you mother board.

Mike

Can you connect to the internet with wired connection?

Have you also tried doing a HARD reset on your router and modem? You may need to reconfigure your connection settings.

Back