Windows 7 limited internet access

goosemanx

I have a speedstream 6520 router/modum hard wired to desk top with win xp.
2 toshibas-win 7
1 gateway-win 7
1 acer-vista
acer and gateway running no problems
2 of toshibas randomly display limited internet access with excellent signal strength, if i disconnect then reconnect all is well again
this happens randomly for no apperant reason
any help appreciated

I have a speedstream 6520 router/modum hard wired to desk top with win xp.
2 toshibas-win 7
1 gateway-win 7
1 acer-vista
acer and gateway running no problems
2 of toshibas randomly display limited internet access with excellent signal strength, if i disconnect then reconnect all is well again
this happens randomly for no apperant reason
any help appreciated

do the two toshibas have the same NIC, presumably wireless ?

yes identical computers,wireless
Thanks for your interest

well I think the fact the Toshibas share the same NIC and possibly driver and are the two laptops getting the intermittent problem suggests it's driver version or even incompatibility with the NIC ?

can you or have you tried with a USB wireless dongle ?

Or tried updating or rolling back drivers ?

If as you say, they work fine to excellent for the most part, then in addition to looking into a driver update as ickymay suggested I would also check all settings on both machines related to the particular network adapter.
Open device manager, expand network adapters, double click the problem device, choose power management tab and uncheck the box that says something about allowing the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Also open control panel, change the view to small icons, select the power options, change plan settings, then change advanced power settings, expand wireless adapter settings and adjust power saving mode to "Maximum Performance"
just another few thoughts

Always glad to help where I can, but don't forget to follow up with ickymay's suggestion. Windows 7 is very particular about the drivers it will use and more importantly use fully, newer drivers often include newer support for enhanced features, if these two toshiba's didn't come with Windows 7 pre installed, then you might need multiple drivers to support the new OS, chipset drivers, specific device drivers as well as potentially a bios firmware update for the MoBo, so make sure you follow up as best you can with drivers from the device manufacturer's website, or at least drivers from Toshiba's website, specific to your make and model and Windows 7

just noticed something interesting happen
when my girlfriend disconnected from internet, mine disconnected at the same time
could be coinsidence or are the two laptops interfering with each other

Back