Linux will stop working in 2038

Nice try for the world's first Y3K project.

If I'm still using these type of computers in 2038 --god help me !!

cheers
jimbo

This is funny...even windows vista, have the same kernel with windows 3.1!!And you are talking that way about unix?I think you have no idea about what unix can do!Try one.Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora... there are so many...and it's free people.You don't have to be a programmer to use one!But using it you might become one

Talk about a useless scare.
Talking about something that will happen in 30 years, when we all know that none of the computer systems in use today will be around in 30 years.

How many 1978 computers are still in use today?

It's not a useless scare, it's called considering the long term consequences. Better fix it 30 years early than to have the whole world panic like it did for the Y2k problem.

It's not a useless scare, it's called considering the long term consequences. Better fix it 30 years early than to have the whole world panic like it did for the Y2k problem.
True, to a certain extent.

But since the problem is known 30 years in advance, there is no need to panic.

So, it is a useless scare. Because by then, it will be fixed.

All it takes is the right person to rewrite the way Linux addresses dates. Simple, no?

And I doubt that 'whole world' would panic over this issue, unless Linux became the main OS of the world.
So far, it is but a very small minority.

Linux would have to make some very great strides to become the mainstream OS. And so far, I don't see that happening.
I have tried out different Linux distro's during the past 20 years. And guess what? It never measures up.
The Windows programs that I use does everything better than the OpenSource programs provided to Linux, with very few exceptions.

So, I stand by my original comment that it is a useless scare. Because it is useless from so many vantage points.

So I never really understood, why the date is important at all to how the actual OS and programs run...anybody care explaining it to me?

1 Kilobit systems? You do understand how powers of ten work right?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Machines these days work in the Gigahertz range, meaning billions of cycles or hertz per second. Kilohertz means thousands of cycles or hertz per second.. I hope in the year 2038 the amount of computing power available to anyone would be well into the Peta or Exahertz range due to parallel processors, mufti-core processors, or some new technology we have yet to fathom in the year 2009.:)

I think that by 2038, we'll be on 1 kilobit systems. haha
We won't have to worry about this at all.

Machines these days work in the Gigahertz range, meaning billions of cycles or hertz per second. Kilohertz means thousands of cycles or hertz per second.. I hope in the year 2038 the amount of computing power available to anyone would be well into the Peta or Exahertz range due to parallel processors, mufti-core processors, or some new technology we have yet to fathom in the year 2009.:)

Unix/GNU-Linux/Windows: All from the same "root", no? All related, "inbred"! lol

Last edited:
At least this is apparently becoming an issue NOW instead of 25 years from now. Microsoft could take a note about planning ahead eh? Still, it's a moot point because as mentioned who's going to be using a 32 bit system in 2038? There likely won't be any 32 bit systems left by 2025 (best guess) except in museums and private collections. No fix actually needs to be programmed since an 64 bit integer can hold exponentially more data than a 32 bit integer. Being exponential, by the time this problem recurs for 64 bit systems we'll probably be on to 256 bit systems already or something entirely different from the ground up.

You do know what "bit" means, right? He was talking about the bus width not the clock speed....

He means a WLIW system with a 1,024-bit (1-kibibit) instruction set. This is along the lines of 4-bit (e.g. pocket calculators) → 8-bit (e.g. Commodore 64) → 16-bit (e.g. Intel 8086) → 32-bit (e.g. IA-32 / x86-32 / i386 / x86) → 64-bit (e.g. x86-64 and IA-64) → ... system development, to which there are exceptions.

On January 19, 2038 [...] at 3:14:07 GMT, UNIX will be exactly 1 billion seconds old

UNIX was created in 1969, not on January 1, 1970 at 0:00:00 UTC (not GMT; GMT was equal to UT untill the introduction of UTC) - the UNIX epoch was chosen to be a round date and time, which is not even the start of the 1970es decade. 1 billion seconds since the UNIX / POSIX epoch occurred on September 9, 2001 at 01:46:40 UTC, not on January 19, 2038 at 03:14:07 UTC. Also, 2^32 (4,294,967,296) seconds since the UNIX / POSIX epoch will occur on January 19, 2038 at 03:14:08 UTC - this is the time at which software on 32-bit UNIX / POSIX systems will start experiencing problems - if you want to know what kind, just set a 32-bit UNIX / POSIX systems' hardware clock to January 19, 2038 at 03:00:00 UTC, reboot, and see what happens. 2^64 (18,446,744,073,709,551,616) seconds since the UNIX / POSIX epoch will occur on December 4, 292,277,026,596 at 15:30:08 UTC - this is the time at which software on 64-bit UNIX / POSIX systems will start experiencing problems; however, this will not be a problem for anyone on Earth as the Sun will enter a red giant phase in 5 billion years and will have a maximum radius beyond the Earths' present orbit - meaning it will burn, melt, and swallow the Earth - 64-bit UNIX / POSIX systems beyond the Solar system can, however, remain fully operational for another 287 billion years.

Last edited:
Now that I think of it, maybe there were no human terrorists involved with the attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001 - maybe the plains were running POSIX systems which took action against the stupid decade-system humanoids, marking 1 billion seconds since the UNIX / POSIX epoch, which occurred ~35 hours prior to the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Last edited:
Unix will stop working, not linux.
This means Mac will die too.
Also, something tells me that none of this will even be around 2038.
Besides, this won't happen until 2038. That 36 years from now, so just forget about it.

Also, something tells me that none of this will even be around 2038.
Besides, this won't happen until 2038. That 36 years from now, so just forget about it.
On a happy note....
Don't think I'll be around then!!

Back
Top Bottom