Windows 7 Local area connection doesnt have a valid ip configuration

scubasteve

just built new pc running w7 64bit. laptop runs with w7 using wireless router, desktop will not get a wired connection. I have pluged it in directly to the cable modem and to the router.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Make sure you have the latest drivers for the Nvidia NIC and try disabling IPv6 in the properties of your network adapter. You can also try manually assigning static values to the properties of IPv4 to see if that gets you any further along. I assume since you have another win7 machine on the network that the problem is not with your router so keep us posted.

After looking at other solutions and disabling this or that. i decided the onboard nic card was defective, I purchased a new one and had no problems with internet or network. Thanks.

Thanks for posting back and letting us know that you have solved your problem. It might be helpful, if you have the time to post the manufacturer and model number of the NIC, and if it was integrated, the manufacturer and model number of the MoBo. It may prove helpful to other members with similar issues. Anyway thanks again for posting back

I am having a similar issue. I run a dell dimension E521 with a broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller (NIC) having installed windows 7 in early December just yesterday I was no longer to access the internet getting the same 'no valid ip configuration' message. I tried using a previous driver from Broadcom but no luck. I cannot rollback driver as this button is greyed out. Current driver is 4.60.0.1 and installed by Windows I think. I have another windows 7 PC which is running fine and was upgraded at the same time. I ran ipconfig/all on the dell and got IPv4 Address as 169.254.232.46 (preferred). On my other PC it says IPv4 Address 192.168.0.2 (preferred) I access both PCs through a Netgear wireless router via Devolo ethernet plugs via my home electrics. Two other laptops running XP and vista work fine both wired and wireless.

I have disable IPv6 on dell system and removed Bonjour but still no access to internet. Can you or anyone else suggest a fix for this issue it is doing my head in. Have spend the last two days trying to resolve this!!

Thanks to all in advance

You can try static ip addressing for the problem machine for IPv4, try
192.168.0.222 subnet mask should auto poplulate with 255.255.255.0 gateway I think is probably 192.168.0.1 (check the gateway address on the other one that's working) and you can also use those dns address or public dns should work ok by using 8.8.8.8 preferred and 8.8.4.4 alternate, see if that gets you over the hump.
The 169.254.nnn.nnn is an indicator that you are not receiving DHCP information from your router, so you might want to check in servies.msc (just type that into the search box and hit enter) look and make sure that dhcp client service is started and set to automatic as well as the dns client service, if this is a wired connection. If it's a wireless connection you might want to check with the router manufacturer's website and see if there is a firmware update. Hope this helps

Hi Randy, thanks for the prompt reply. I have tried everything you suggested and still have no internet connection. Can you buy new NICs or is it built into the motherboard on the dell dimension e521? I really dont understand why it was working fine and then it stops just like that with no clear way of correcting it.

Should I re-install the windows 7 upgrade or go back to Vista. I thought Microsoft would have learnt by now after the foul up with Vista. Still any thoughts or guidance for you or anybody else is greatly appreciated. Regards Hootie

Hi Randy, thanks for the prompt reply. I have tried everything you suggested and still have no internet connection. Can you buy new NICs or is it built into the motherboard on the dell dimension e521? I really dont understand why it was working fine and then it stops just like that with no clear way of correcting it.
Yes, assuming that you have an available pci slot inside your computer, adding a NIC is relatively easy, make sure you disable the onboard NIC in the MoBo bios utility. And make sure that if you do decide to purchase one, that you check and make sure it has the Windows 7 logo, or check the hardware compatability site here Windows 7 Compatibility Center hardware browse results - Networking - Ethernet Adapters
I've checked Dell and Broadcom and according to both, that is the latest driver (Windows XP and or Vista)
Should I re-install the windows 7 upgrade or go back to Vista. I thought Microsoft would have learnt by now after the foul up with Vista. Still any thoughts or guidance for you or anybody else is greatly appreciated. Regards Hootie
First, have you done any physical diagnotics, both the RJ45 plug on the back of the computer and the one on the Switch/Router should have lights that you can examine, make sure the ports are displaying the lights when the cable is plugged in (generally they are green or amber and steady on unless activity is detected and then they will blink rapidly), and try swapping out the cable with a known good one, and try another port on the router/switch that is known to be good.
Your question is difficult to answer and is probably best answered by you, since you have to do all the work. Windows 7 seems to be a fine operating systems, albeit a bit more demanding on system resources and a bit less forgiving of legacy hardware and drivers.

THanks Randy I look again tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Thanks again

No problem, I would certainly appreciate knowing what you decide and how you ultimately choose to resolve the issue. And
Thank You

Hi Randy I swapped out the cables and they are all fine. I dont have a spare PCI slot but have a TV card that I havent used since I purchased the PC, can I remove this and use that slot if needed?

Failing that all I can do is reinstall the windows 7 upgrade and hope for the best. Your thoughts?

I would assume that you could remove any addon cards that you aren't using and assuming that it's some type of pci, or pciE 1x 8x, I would think that you would be able to find a NIC that would fit the bill. If you choose the re-install path, I would be interested if the adapter somehow magically works again in Vista before the upgrade, when you did the upgrade to Win7 did you run the compatability advisor and did you receive any warnings regarding the network adapter.

Hi Randy, The windows 7 re-upgrade did not work so I decided to revert back to Vista and performed a clean install and I can now connect to the internet again. I think i will investigate further before i upgreade to windows 7 again. I did run the windows 7 advisor prior to upgrading and i did not get any unusal message regarding the Broadcom NIC and as explained earlier I have been running windows since early December with no problems on internet connection. I guess it is windows update related but clearly there is an incompatibility issue somewhere. Anyway, thanks again for your assistance with me problem. Hootie

Wow, what a pain....I suspect you're correct and that somehow, either windows update or another third party driver update utility (not sure if you use anything like Driver Agent or something similar) probably did update the adapter driver and caused this issue, however; I thought that in most instances that driver updates through the Windows Update utility were listed as optional updates, rather than critical updates and that the user has to physically select those in order for them to be installed.
Don't know what your next step is going to be and I don't want to influence one way or the other, but if you do choose to upgrade again, I would be interested in hearing how you are doing, immediately following the plain vanilla upgrade, without any subsequent updates of drivers or software. So please keep us posted if you decide to proceed....or not.

Back
Top Bottom