Windows 7 Location of files on PC

m139139

I'm a brand-new windows 7 user; formerly was an XP user.

When I want to find one of my files, after entering it in search, it will come up, but doesn't tell me where it is located; i.e. XP would show you that a file was in external drive or on the C-drive, etc.

How do I find out where my file is located?

Thank you in advance

Mimi

Hi

The easiest way that I have found is to right click on the file in the list, and then select "Go to File Location".
You can also right click on it and select properties, but it you are looking for a file you probably want to get to it so the first option is the most direct.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your help with the file location.

Please let me know if you have received this. I'm seriously thinking of sending this computer back and asking for a refund. I've had nothing but problems and aggravation since I got this new computer.

Mimi

Hi

Glad that solved that problem.

I'm going to suggest a couple of apps that I use that make going from XP to Windows 7 a little easier, and improves the way that Windows Explorer works.

The first is Classic Shell.

Classic Shell | Download Classic Shell software for free at SourceForge.net

It makes the start menu work more like XP, I use it all the time.

The second is an app called Take Ownership.

Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

This one will help you get around the some of the access blocks that Windows 7 throws up.

The last is Locate32.

Locate32 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

This search app works much better then the one in Windows 7.

Hope this makes things a little easier.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the suggested downloads. I have been having a problem with multiple e-mail contact lists. I have a feeling I may have posted this before, so I won't repeat myself.

Mimi

I am normally a strong supporter of windows add-ons, but I was disappointed with the search facility in "7".
I experimented with some third party products and, in the end, decided to disable the windows 7 search, because of its "chunky" operation.
My favoured third party search program is now "Everythiong" on Everything Search Engine
Its speed is something astonishing (And it shows the full paths!)

Hi Davehc:

Thanks for your help. I may try your suggestion. Someone else suggested right-clicking on the file and then clicking onto "location..."etc. and it helped me find where that file was located; i.e. My Documents, etc.

Mimi

That is true. Disabling the Windows Search service turns off the Search Indexing and NOTHING else, this is the feature which is slowing Windows 7. But Windows Explorer Search will still be present. Turning off Windows Search from the “Turn off Windows Features” however, will completely remove Windows Explorer Search

Dear Mike

Hello my name is Gary, I am a new user to the forum.

Many thanks for the download link to classic shell setup 2.

I was a user of XP Pro & decided to build a powerful 64bit Windows 7 PC, after installation of the O/S I came across some minor irritations of which Classic Shell 2 cured, Thank you.

I wonder if you or any other forum user could help with this problem.

01 I have bad eyesite due to retniopathy (diabetes) and found on XP Pro that when using the classic interface in settings I could adjust the colour settings of all the windows, menus, backgrounds, text, icons etc etc.

02 with the bright white, background, light blue text or pale text and white or light coloured icons in the explorer bar or on web pages, I am beginning to suffer headaches & eye strain (yes I have had my eyes checked),.

03 Is it possible to change the aspect of the explorer window (opening computer icon) to a pale grey or darker background to stop my eyes burning.

04 Windows 7 boot screen with User Icon/s - Can I change to a darker colour as I have difficulty reading the white text on pale blue background.

Many thanks in advance if you can help

Gary right click on desktop and choose Personalize. You will find all sorts of things you can adjust there. In themes scroll down and you will find High contrast may help.
Edit: After that choose Window Color and adjust to your liking. Then go back to Top and choose Unsaved theme and save to a name you want.

Hi

Right click on the Desktop.

Select Personalize.

Select the Windows Classic Theme.

When it has changed click on Window Color and you will find all the traditional options.

Mike

Actually this basically is what Veegertex said, but I didn't know there was a message on the next page when I answered. LOL

Dear Mike & Veegertex

Gentlemen thank you very much for helping with my Windows 7 issue, I am overjoyed & my eyes will reap the benefits of your knowledge passed on to me and the forum.

Kind regards
Gary.

Hi

Right click on the Desktop.

Select Personalize.

Select the Windows Classic Theme.

When it has changed click on Window Color and you will find all the traditional options.

Mike

Actually this basically is what Veegertex said, but I didn't know there was a message on the next page when I answered. LOL

Dear Mike & Veegertex

Gentlemen thank you very much for helping with my Windows 7 issue, I am overjoyed & my eyes will reap the benefits of your knowledge passed on to me and the forum.

Kind regards
Gary.
No problem Gary. Welcome to the forums. I forget to look

There is a way to modify those boot screens but involves modifying dll. If you want to know how to do that let me know. Not real difficult but I couldn't stand that light blue image I refer to as 'Powder Puff'
You see my image in my signature are my boot screens

Dear Veegertx

I am interested to modify the boot screen logo & would (if possible) appreciate your help & guidance to modifying the .dll files.

Thank you
Gary.:razz:

QUOTE=Veegertx;200350]No problem Gary. Welcome to the forums. I forget to look

There is a way to modify those boot screens but involves modifying dll. If you want to know how to do that let me know. Not real difficult but I couldn't stand that light blue image I refer to as 'Powder Puff'
You see my image in my signature are my boot screens[/QUOTE]

I normally modify my dlls spwizimg.dll, imageres.dll, img0.jpg and add them into my install dvd to use on an unattended dvd. I will look for offline method

Hi

I modified my imageres.dll file to change my startup sound by using a program called Resource Hacker.

It opens Widows files and lets you modify them, it was easy to use and worked great.
You should copy the original file to your desktop first and modify it there.

Then rename the one in Windows OriginalXXXX.Dll or whatever and paste in a copy of the one on the desktop. That way all you have to do is delete your file and change the name on the old one back to what is was to switch back to the default if things don't go right.

Download Resource Hacker 3.5.2.84 Beta / 3.4.0.79 Free - Analyze, change, add, erase or extract resources in EXE and DLL files - Softpedia

I can't tell you which things to change to switch Boot Screens but I'm sure the process is basically the same, pointing Windows to the file you want to use.

Vegertx can probably tell you that.

Mike

First you must make sure you have some type of recovery before proceeding. It's your PC and I am not responsible. I highly recommend creating a restore image anyway whatever you use Right Now. Back it up every so often when you know that you do not have any viruses or anything.

I personally use Acronis True Image Home but it does cost. I create Images on a separate drive where I can reach them easily with an Acronis boot CD. There is Macrium Reflect which is free but I haven't used much and don't know how to reach that in case of failure.
or
Win 7 has a built in Recovery which works also.
You will need a separate Hard drive/USB big enough. You can write these to Dvd but it will take 4 or more depends how big your system is.

Read this and get real familiar with it.
http://windows7forums.com/tweaks-guides-howto/46010-windows-7-comes-lot-repair-options.html
Advantage to this is you will be able to reach this by Tapping F8 when system is booting and choose Repair your Computer Select this Hit enter, Select keyboard, Select User and enter Password and proceed to screen with list
Choose Windows Complete PC restore. There will allow you to select the backup and restore it.

To make a System Image in Windows 7
Type sdclt in the search box on the Start menu. Upper left select the 'Create a system image', let it find a drive/usb with enough space.
Choose Next. Choose Start Backup. On Mine it creates a WindowsImageBackup folder that is 15.8 GB backup of my system drive C: currently at 25.4 GB

All About Resource Hacker in a Brief Tutorial - Tweaking with Vishal

Copy the dll's to another folder elsewhere and add your images. You can extract these images out of the dll to same folder so it will give you size. EX: 1024x768
These files need to be exact same size as they are in the dll.
spwizimg.dll change 517.bmp and 518.bmp
imageres.dll change 5031.jpg to 5043.jpg

There are more to change but that will get you started.
I have been wanting to write a complete tutorial on all the things you can change for awhile but haven't had time.
There are programs out there also but I prefer doing things on my own

I agree with Vegertx completely on this.
If you are going to mess aground with the Windows files make sure you have a way to recover your computer.

I have two options, I have a Ubuntu disk that will boot my computer and let me get in and change whatever I have changed back to the way it was if I totally mess it up and I have a complete backup of Windows on an external hard drive, (actually I have two on two different external drives) if worse comes to worse.

The only thing I have done like this is change my startup sound and it wasn't without some apprehension that I did it the first time, Windows can be very fussy about how it wants things to work, one little file corrupted and down it goes.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I have asked myself "Why didn't I leave well enough alone". LOL

On the other hand, that's how we learn this stuff.
Here's a link to download Ubuntu, this disk works great on my computer, I just downloaded it, made a disk and it booted right up, and connects to the internet.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

You have to use a program like ImageBurn to write the ISO to a CD.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Mike

Back