Windows 7 Logon Error in Windows 7 Professional x64

Kin3TiX

Hi all!

So I just reinstalled windows 7 professional 64bit on a computer that had previously been running the same product perfectly fine. However, this time, every time I login I immediately see the message "User name or password is incorrect". After hitting ok to this message I get to the welcome screen, which shows a profile that says my name...but slightly differently. It shows the name "Owen" when my profile name is "Owen J". So disregarding this discrepancy I try to type the password anyway. However, all attempts to login to this profile are in vain, I get "User name or password is incorrect" every time I type in my password. However, if I go to switch user, and manually type in my information, it works perfectly. It logs me in under my user name. In addition to this oddity, when I go to user accounts there is no account named "Owen" at all, so I am at a loss as to where windows came up with this account and even more confused as to why it apparently doesn't exist according to the control panel. I cannot figure out what is wrong with the welcome screen, I even tried repairing windows and that did absolutely nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

My system:
MSI 890FXA-GD70
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
OCZ Special OPS DDR1600 (Currently Running at 1333)
MSI GTS250 1gig Edition

Hi again, reporting back... Thanks for all the advice, I finally figured it out. I fixed it rather by accident really. What finally worked was to get into the administrator account, and from there run "control userpasswords2". There I checked the box "Require users to login with user name and password" and edited some of the permissions of my account. Upon restart, it fixed everything. My profile appeared exactly as it should; as the only available account to log into. Great suggestions!

Glad you've fixed the problem :)
Thanks for using Windows 7 Forums, I hope to see you around.

Back
Top Bottom