Windows 7 Looking for memory upgrade

like digerati has put so eloquently, you would be better served building something nice starting with a high quality motherboard, with onboard sound and gfx , use a mid range CPU and 4 gig of quality branded ram.

this gets you started but leaves you with an upgrade curve so at a later date you can add a high quality gfx card if you need it and more ram if you need and a fast top end CPU :)

Yes, you're right about the conversion process using the most processing power. I also listen and record Internet Radio while I'm on my PC. This program is just below Firefox in memory usage.:)

I also agree that the video card is the next component to choose.

I realize this is a budget PC, that's the reason I bought it. Who can go wrong for $398.00? I can experiment to my heart;s content on a machine like this.

I do plan on building my own in the future.

:confused:BTW, it is upgradeable with
One PCI Express Ă—16
Two PCI-E Ă—1
One PCI Conventional

There are many different models in the ET series. The ET1331G-03w and ET1331G-05w are memory upgradeable.

Take a look at E-Machines official site here:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Regarding audiophile components, my present system's video card is connected to the HDMI switcher built into my Marantz Link Removed due to 404 Error My sound card's optical connection is also connected to the Marantz. When listing to Internet radio, sound goes through my Klipsch front speakers and Velodyne sub. When playing DVDs, it runs through 5.1 channel (DTS also).

I bought my first stereo system in 1974 which was a Pioneer "quadrophonic" system. That lasted about as long as the Laser Disk.:(

I don't have the two rear speakers yet. I don't mention this to brag, it's just that my nephew has his own Audio-Visual home installation company and I get my components at his cost + 10%.:D

Man, what a markup on components and speakers. TV's have basically no markup at all

Ah, my first "good" system included a set of AR3a "reference" speaker systems powered by a Marantz 240 dual "block" power amplifier providing some serious "thump". This was a basic amp - no knobs, dials, gauges, or even switches - nothing but solid power, and one tiny blue power light. I was living in the barracks overseas at the time and when I got Pink Floyd and Emerson, Lake and Palmer cranking, the Bose 901 fanboys would come running to see what was causing the building the shake! :p:cool:

BTW, it is upgradeable with
One PCI Express Ă—16
Two PCI-E Ă—1
One PCI Conventional
Yes, but that is just the motherboard expansion. I was referring to the whole package. Many of these entry level systems are manufactured with techniques that, for example, "clamp" the motherboard in place with cutouts from the case, instead of using mounting screws. To remove the motherboard, you have to bend metal, often breaking the "tines" making securing an "upgrade" motherboard nearly impossible. Many have PSUs that are barely adequate to support the load out of the box. Many have proprietary parts.

I realize this is a budget PC, that's the reason I bought it. Who can go wrong for $398.00? I can experiment to my heart;s content on a machine like this.
No doubt they have had a big hand at bringing computing to the masses. And they tend to make good, generic "office productivity" systems. As far as experimenting to one's heart's content, well, that's where the limitations come in.

I still have an Akai Reference Master AM-73 Integrated amp (When Akai made quality components) It was only released in Europe. I believe it was built in 1990.:cool:

It weighs in at 65 pounds.:eek:

It was the first amp or receiver ever I saw with optical output. It also has digital coax in and out and I record true digital audio with my mini disk player.

Hows's this for a "mono block" amplifier: http://us.marantz.com/Products/1954.asp MA-9S2 Reference Monaural Power Amplifier $7999.99

I also had a rare NEC Renaissance series CD player. Tons of features including phase inversion.

The AR's were great. I'm looking at replacing all speakers with Atlantic Technology (after I hit the lottery)

Back to computers..............................

]Yes, but that is just the motherboard expansion. I was referring to the whole package. Many of these entry level systems are manufactured with techniques that, for example, \"clamp\" the motherboard in place with cutouts from the case, instead of using mounting screws. To remove the motherboard, you have to bend metal, often breaking the \"tines\" making securing an \"upgrade\" motherboard nearly impossible. Many have PSUs that are barely adequate to support the load out of the box. Many have proprietary parts.

This is the furtherest thing from my mind, all I want is the PCI slot for the video card and PCI Express for the sound card.:)

Regarding experimenting, I'm talking about installing and testing programs and hacking the registry. I'm writing a script for someone who has a computers in bars and wants many features disabled.

Group Policy takes too long. I write registry scripts and then create an undo script if he needs to make changes on the "restricted machine." They can also right-click on a .inf file to remove all policies. I made the default action Install rather than Open on that account.

Last edited:
Here are the specs for your board. What you need for best performance would be a matched pair of ddr2 6400 modules. I would go for Corsair,Crucial or Giel.
This board will run upto 8 gig.
Processor • Supports AMD® AM2 Socket K8 Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon™ 64, Athlon™ FX, and Sempron™ processors under 89 watt power consumption
• Support transfer rate of 2000/1600/1200/800/400 mega-transfers per second. Chipset • NVIDIA MCP61S Memory • Four 240-pin DDR2 800/667/533/400 MHz SDRAM slots
• Support up to 8 GB system memory Audio • Integrated Realtek High Definition Audio (ALC888S) Video • Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE nForce 430 graphics Onboard I/O Connectors • PS/2 keyboard port
• PS/2 mouse port
• VGA port
• Four USB 2.0 ports
• One parallel port
• One serial port
• One VGA monitor port
• One RJ-45 LAN port
• Six audio jacks
Expansion Options • One PCI Express ×16
• Two PCI-E ×1
• One PCI Conventional Internal Header • Two 2-port USB 2.0 headers (2 × 5)
• One Front panel audio header (mic / headphone)
• One front panel header (2 × 5 supports power LED, power switch, hard drive LED, and reset switch)
• One Floppy disk drive connector
• One Primary IDE connector
• Four Serial ATA II connectors (3 GB/s)
• One Clear CMOS jumper
• One Main Power Connector 24-pin (2 × 12)
• One 12V CPU power connector 4-pin
• One 4-pin CPU power connector
• One 3-pin system fan connector
• One 3-pin power fan connector Storage • Two Serial ATA II connectors (3 GB/s)
• One Primary IDE connector
• Floppy disk drive Onboard LAN • Integrated Realtek RTL8201N 10/100 MB LAN Form Factor • mATX 244 × 244 × 1.6 mm

timsuddaby said:
Here are the specs for your board. What you need for best performance would be a matched pair of ddr2 6400 modules. I would go for Corsair,Crucial or Giel.
This board will run up to 8 gig.
As shown in the link I provided above, and via the link you provided above, Reg, you can see it only supports up to 4Gb. Therefore, not sure I would trust the rest of the specs.

The ET1331G-03w and ET1331G-05w can accept 8 GB of RAM as indicated on the official page mentioned earlier.

Doesn't really matter that much as I decided to look for a graphics card first.

Sorry to go on Digerati but the official specs from emachines says upto 8 gb ram not 4 as the gateway specs suggest.
See snip. et1331g-05w..JPG

Interesting - since eMachines is owned by Gateway and both are owned by Acer - and both are "official" sites, I would verify before buying more.

Interesting - since eMachines is owned by Gateway and both are owned by Acer - and both are "official" sites, I would verify before buying more.

Thats a fair comment Digerati. I was slightly confused too and I work with the damn things daily.
Some of their mobo's are cut down limited versions of big name mobo's and can be a real pain to work with.
Best option would be to get confirmation from the manufacturer in writing if possible.

Case is solved.

Two more banks were there when I opened the case.

I installed two 512MB chips and now have 6 GB of memory and running much faster.

Hey Jim!
glad to see you got things sorted.. We must catch up soon... :)

Back