Windows 7 Looking for screen saver that locks the computer

thewolfe

Way back in the good old days I use to use a screen saver that had an option to require a password to unlock the screen saver. I looked at the options on all my default screen savers and that option is not available.

Also, if I use the sleep that requires my name & password, where do I see what they are before name and password is required.

Thanks for that but I want to make sure I have the correct user name and password before I lock myself out.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't know them, but you should be able to determine them by going to Control Panel>User Accounts

Can't determine your password, only your Username. And actually I had a 99% chance that I had the username & password but since I'm working with my main computer I can't take a chance of getting locked out.

User Accounts has the ability to reset the password to something that you choose, so you could make a new one that you could be certain of.

EDIT: I'm curious, because if you are uncertain of your password, that must mean that you have it set to not require a password when first booting up to the system, which is where I generally would prefer to have the security. The only exception for me is on my HTPC, where I feel that it isn't necessary. If you don't need a secure login on boot, why do you need it just to go into Sleep Mode?

I know that it isn't the best idea to force a restart, but if you somehow got locked out in Safe Mode, a forced restart would bring you back to the regular login screen, but of course you would need the correct login data for that to give you access.

Last edited:
I'm working with my "backup" computer before I try my main computer. I can't even get the screensaver to come on. However, after restarting I can get the login screen. Not sure if there's something running in the background that looks like I'm still on it.I do use Synergy to control both computers with one keyboard and mouse. Other than that, I'm not sure what's keeping him awake.

I don't know anything about Synergy, other than what I just read on their home page, but it would seem to me that if it were running two computers at the same time, that would interfere with some functions set for an individual computer...perhaps login operations...don't know. I'm assuming that when you restart one computer, that the other keeps running. Just guessing.

OK I got my main machine to go blank and require a password after 5 minutes. Also created a Password Reset Disk.

Now I would like the password to be required at Startup but don't see a place to do that.

Well, I gpt password protection starting at startup. When I re-started my computer it took affect.

Just in case you ever have a problem with using the login in the future, I just came across something that looks like it might help:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Rescatux. I have never used it, therefore know nothing about it, but this line from it's homepage looked interesting;

New option: Easy Windows Admin that runs: unlock user, promote user to admin and blank admin user password so that you can straight-forward as a windows admin user.

Back
Top Bottom