Windows 7 Losing files in Content.IE5

Gareth

Hi
I've lost some work by opening an attachment from an e-mail, forgetting to save it locally, and then saving the document and closing. I think it's saved the updated file to a Temporary Internet File somewhere, but I can't find it.

I've tracked backwards by re-opening the original file from the e-mail, using 'save as' to see where it's being put, which shows C:\Users\Gareth\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ and a random file name.

When I try to open that file in Windows Explorer (after switching on 'show hidden files' and switching off 'hide protected operating system files'), the random file doesn't show up. There are four other files with similar random 8 digit file names, which contain loads of images and other temporary internet stuff, but no sign of any word files like the one I'm looking for.

I often e-mail myself work between computers, and usually remember to save it to 'my documents' on the local computer, but have forgotten a couple of times, but am so far unable to find my work. Very frustraging. I solved this in XP, by finding the OLK or OLKB file and making a link to it, and thought that or something similar would work here.

Any ideas?

First of course, using the save as command and picking where you want to save a particular file is generally a good practice.
Second check IE8 and take a look at internet options, advanced tab, under security and make sure you don't have "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" checked.
Third make sure you are not using a third party application that does something similar Windows Washer, ATF Cleaner, CCleaner, etc, even disk cleanup will do the same thing.

Thanks Randy

No, that box is not checked. And I'm not aware of anything that's clearing out the Temporary Internet Files - in fact there are loads of them there, just not the ones I want.

I'm running Kaspersky Anti-virus, plus some McAfee security scan software has appeared and is trying to get in on the act. Could these be deleting those files?

Gareth

Back