Windows 7 Lost both my DVD Drives after Install

Dabear

I have recently installed 7 and find the OS great so far. Much faster than Vista :razz:. One problem i am suffering is that I have lost both my DVD drives. When I look in Hardware I can see them - they both have a yellow exclamation mark and that the digital signatures are not signed. I cannot play or record from them. Any ideas how to make the drives show in Explorer and make them operational?

Lost use od CD rom drive

Hi readers,
I have a similar problem as been already mentioned ,when i load a cd app,disk it just keeps on spinning. have tried Loathes suggestion , from the CMD lineI was denied access , I am the administrator
bcdedit ?set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS . Are there any other solutions?

deejaydee
ps. this drive works perfectly on the xp platform

Network My Documents

hi Readers,
anyone out there can help me out.
I can see W7 from the xp stations, another desktop & laptop, the folder My documents does not show up on the network. All that is visible is 2 separate printers, a users folder which opens to public , downloads, music, pictures, videos.
From the W7 station desktop, I have figured the workgroup the same on all stations being MSHOME, also disabled the password check facility. Turn on network discovery ,specifically enabling My documents.

Here I am now almost into the 2nd week since the launch, and not much further up the road, would appreiciate some help .
deejaydee

guess you wanted to upen a new thread.
anyways, you - of course - have to share your user folder in ordner to see it over the network. by default only the public folder is shared. you should only share your user folder if you have REALLY good reasons to do so, otherwise I wouldn't do that.

anyways, go to C:/Users and right-click on your user-folder, select propertier, than sharing and then share the folder. if you want guests to be able to access the folder, share it for everybody.

PS: if everything works but my documents make sure it is shared. do the same steps I told you before, only for the my documents folder.

Best solution -- should work since DVD drives are usually "Fairly Bog Standard" unless Blu Ray.
1) Connect to the Internet
2) Go into Device Manager
3) Right Mouse Click against the device(s) with the yellow exclamation mark
4) Update Driver -- on the prompt click the option that says CONNECT TO INTERNET TO SEARCH FOR DRIVER.

Might take a few minutes but Windows should find a suitable driver -- DVD drivers are pretty bog standard as I've said these days -- I'm actually surprised you've even got a problem with these but it's Windows so anything can happen.

I tend to be of the opinion that Registry Fixes should only be a "Last Resort measure" but sometimes you just have to do what works.
My suggestion here should work 99% of the time however.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
Hi, I have just upgraded from XP to Win 7.

I have 'lost' my DVD drive. Sometimes it shows up in my computer showing whats in the drive, sometimes NOT showing whats in the drive and sometimes not showing up at all. Either way I can't use it, watch DVDs or install anything on a DVD ROM.

I have searched all over and keep finding the upper and lower filter solution in the registry, but my registry entry does not have these keys. Neither upper nor lower.

I also had a bit of trouble with the CD R drive, but that seems to have sorted itself out after an update.

Any suggestions anyone?

Lost DVD drives

Had the same problem myself installed win 7 put on some new programmes when i tried to put on some nero burning software lost the icons of both dvd's here is the solution

enter regedit follow my instructions and go to the file names low filters and or upper filters delete the files and it will work.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Yes I've seen that solution a lot, but it doesn't work for me cos when I go to that particular registry entry, I have no upper or lower filter entry :frown:

after i try adding in the bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

i reboot my computer.

and it never shuts down i have to do a soft powerdown with the power button.
i have tried this twice.

i also cannot run the regedit in administration mode it gives me an error.

i cannot enter regedit as admin. any ideas why ? it says access denied. but it will still bring up regedit and the file that you are naming , except the filter keys either upper or lower are not in the listing......

Re: Lost DVD drives

Had the same problem myself installed win 7 put on some new programmes when i tried to put on some nero burning software lost the icons of both dvd's here is the solution

enter regedit follow my instructions and go to the file names low filters and or upper filters delete the files and it will work.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}[/

Worked great for me. Thank you...!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom