Windows 10 Lost email program and contacts when I had to reset Windows10. Is it possible to recover anything?

slider638

I was successfully using WLM. after resetting, I lost WLM, and all my contacts which had taken years to accumulate. Is it possible to recover at least my contacts. I didn't expect everything to be deleted since I had checked to save all my files and folders.

If you have a gmail or Microsoft mail account (like hotmail, live or outlook) your contacts may have been stored "in the cloud" of your email provider.

Log on in the webmail of your email provider (www.gmail.com / www.outlook.com) and see what is stored there.

You may well be lucky, keep my fingers crossed

Henk

Last edited:
When I was using live mail it always restored all my contacts when I reinstalled my mail accounts.
Saved in the cloud someplace I assume.

If that doesn't work, look in your Windows.old file for Contacts.

Mike

Hi,

As Mike said, downloading Live Mail and signing in once again should restore the contacts and emails. Had helped a friend with similar scenario. Or you can also try to log in to your webmail and check for contacts there.
All the best.

-Edwin

Hi,

As Mike said, downloading Live Mail and signing in once again should restore the contacts and emails. Had helped a friend with similar scenario. Or you can also try to log in to your webmail and check for contacts there.
All the best.

-Edwin
But don't you need a Microsoft account for this to get this working? And we know nothing about the email of our friend who asked this.

Last edited:
All I know is that it used to work for me back before I had a Microsft account.
I haven't used live mail in a long time.

I've used Thunderbird for several years.
Any way it would only take a few minutes to install live mail and add your email address and see if your contacts show up after exiting the program and opening it again.

Do you have a Windows.old file?
You might be able to find your contacts in there if you do..

But don't you need a Microsoft account for this to get this working? And we know nothing about the email of our friend who asked this.
Sorry for delayed response. Windows Live Mail is an email client, just the way you have Outlook and Thunderbird. You can configure any email service in Windows Live Mail. Hope this clears the confusion.

-Edwin

And so it is.

And this in relation with the question 'how to get back my contacts': they may have been stored somewhere 'in the cloud' by your email provider, as is done for the users of a Microsoft email account like Hotmail, LiveMail or Outlook - and here starts the confusion: Microsoft LiveMail email account <> Windows LiveMail client; Microsoft Outlook email account <> Windows Outlook email client.

So I thought open the webmail pages of your email provider, log in and look for the contact there.

Henk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom