Windows 7 Lost internet connection, service provider can't help

oysarl

Hello all,

I realize this may not be a direct Windows 7 issue, but I received such great help here the last time I had an issue so I'll try again.

A couple of days I lost internet connection on all my devices. As far as I know, I had not been doing anything that could have caused this. I can locate and connect to the wireless network, so the router seems to be working fine, but it says I have no internet connection. My service provider first indicated that my modem was old, so they sent a new one (Cisco DPC3010). Still have no internet, and my SP says it had to be set up wrong and can't/won't help in any other way than to send a technician to make sure I've connected the right cables in the right sockets, for $150. If this was the case, it's a bit strange that the old modem just stopped working when it had not been touched for almost a year.

Anyway, I realize this is not alot to work with. The lights on the modem go as follows:

Power light is always solid (obviously)
DS light starts blinking
DS light goes solid after about 30 seconds, and US light starts blinking
After another 30 seconds or so, DS, US and the online light blinks at the same time for 4-5 times, then all lights except power go out.
Cycle repeats (forever)

Any clues here? Connecting/disconnecting the coaxial cable does not seem to affect the light pattern.

- I have restarted/reset everything
- Tried different coaxial cable
- Tried different wall socket (I guess they're on the same circuit, but TV connection from the same socket works fine)
- I live in an apartment building and it seems like I'm the only one with this issue

Any help would be most appreciated, if there is something I can do or run by my service provider.

Best regards,
Øystein

Let's try to narrow down the problem. First check if your internet is working by connecting your PC directly to any ports on your router by using an ethernet cable (in short, try wired connection first). Let us know if you can connect to the internet via wired connection.

Sorry for the delay.

I restarted and it still says no internet access.

I believe the modem is supposed to have a solid light on "online" when it's operational. Nothing there.

Unplug both your router and the modem and shut down your PC. Check again your connections and power the modem up. When it boots up completely, plug the router back in wait for it to boot up and then restart your PC. That is the proper sequence when restarting an internet connection. If nothing works there, especially from the modem which is the terminal connected to your ISP, you need to call your ISP again. If wired connection does not work, wireless will never work.

Still nothing. Thank you for your help, badrobot, I will keep nagging my ISP until they come up with something. Sadly I am tied to this provider through my apartment building.

If you go to Control Panel >>> Network and Sharing Center >>> Change Adapter Settings.... Do you see 2 icons? One should be "Local Area Connection" and the other is "Wireless Network Connection". If you are connected via ethernet cable (wired), Local Area Connection adapter should be enabled.

But then again, if the modem is not giving you any connection (by looking at LED light indicators), nothing will work.

Yeah they're enabled. It's definitely the modem that's not receiving any signal or is locked somehow. ISP is sending a technician. Not sure if they expect payment.

Yeah they're enabled. It's definitely the modem that's not receiving any signal or is locked somehow. ISP is sending a technician. Not sure if they expect payment.

Did you also try HARD resetting the modem? There's a very small hole in the back that you have to push with a paper clip. Push and hold it while the modem is plugged in until you see the LED light turn off and back on.

Back