Windows 10 Lost Trashcan Icon

john92210

Recently the trash icon changed to what looks like a "page". In system settings the icons look correct but do not take effect. I've re-booted this this did not fix the problem.

Then, in File Explorer, I deleted IconCache.db, emptied the trash and rebooted. The Trash Can still has the “page” icon. Then in Desktop Icon Settings, and I tried the Restore Default and Change Icon buttons. Neither worked.
Any suggestions?

• Press [Windows key + i]
  • Click on Personalize
  • Themes
  • Click on Change Desktop icons
  • Select each recycle bin item and select the icon
  • The default icons are in C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll if it's not already selected

I've tried everything and nothing works. I've rebuilt the Icon Cache (2 or 3 times) and I've worked with changing desktop icons in Personalize/Themes. I see C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll is where it belongs. What else can I try?

What do you get when you select a different icon and also what icon are you getting by default?

Download a program like Icon Packager (buy it if you want the full version) and it will allow you to easily manage your icons, cursors, and even install custom icon packs! I use Windows 8.1 Professional, and use Icon Packager for a custom icon theme, including some Windows 10 icons - I like it a lot!

Otherwise, try downloading a pre-made imageres.dll file and replacing that with the default one in your C:\Windows\System32 folder. That should help. Try rebuilding icon cache after all of that.

If that doesn't work, then get Icon Packager, as well as a program that restarts your explorer.exe, and everything should be resolved.

Message me if you want financial help with purchasing the full version of Icon Packager, or if you'd like me to explain to you how to reset your icon cache AND your windows explorer all in CMD with no administrative rights.

When I select a different icon it doesn’t change. The icon looks like a white page with the upper right corner folded down. Could the file for the icon be missing? Could the imageres.dll be damaged and need replacing?

It's possible it could be damaged. You can scan a single file from an elevated command prompt with
sfc /scanfile="C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll"

Ok, I ran the scan but it did not find any integrity violations.

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-29_13-52-50.png
    upload_2016-10-29_13-52-50.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 273
There's probably nothing wrong with the file then. Something may be overriding the image

Download and extract the .reg file. Double click the reg file to import it. This should reset the Recycle Bin. You may need to reboot after.

Attachments

• RecycleBin.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 159
Back