Mac user returning to Windows computing

SB1500

Well I'm coming back to Windows despite being a loyal and happy Mac user. My MacBook Pro had some hardware faults and due to the lack of genuine reliable parts on the market to be able to fix this myself I had to part with it and move on. Apple wouldn't let me fix it myself and wanted hundreds to fix the keyboard alone :-( As much as I'm able to wait and save for another Mac, my options today in terms of their notebooks aren't as attractive to me as the others were in the past. I don't want to spend over £1,000 for a Core M machine or almost £1,500 for an i5 device at i7 prices. I'm also accustomed to believing £1,000 is a LOT for a computer for my needs and they've pushed it up so much lately that I simply cannot justify spending so much.

I've decided to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad E470 with a Core i3 and full HD display. It seems like a well built and robust machine from what I can read from owners and the keyboard seems to be very well designed and reliable as well as reasonable battery life and not too bulky but not stupidly slim. It has a 180GB SSD so it'll be quite quick I expect!

It has Windows 10 of course, so I'll be moving my files from iCloud to OneDrive and redownloading all the normal apps like VLC onto Windows. I'm looking forward to playing some game titles again - not modern or demanding but Windows only / DirectX based ones. It will be used for university work, browsing and photos so not large editing or compiling jobs hence the decision to buy an i3.

I'll be honest, I hated a lot of Windows 10s touch based elements and features like Cortana but I'm aware that many of the touch based apps can be removed with PowerShell so as long as I work that out I think i can get the OS to be nice, plain and simple.

Anybody else been in a similar situation?

If you're looking to just get rid of all of them for the current user the simplest way is to run this from powershell
Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage this simply removes them from your current profile it doesn't delete them so they can be added back later if needed.

Back