Windows 7 Maximum count of characters for name of the icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotar

So what I need to do, where change in regedit MAXIMUM COUNT OF CHARACTERS FOR NAME OF THE ICON?

I want that, icons in Win 7 in folders would be shown exactly in THE SAME WAY like they are in Win XP in Icons View.

aexv1u.jpg

Namely if I set in Win 7 Small Icons i got a list, Medium Icons are too big, so the only solution to have icons shown similar to XP is to set view between Small Icons and Medium Icons. And this looks like that:

2s0itzp.jpg

I supposedly can leave them in those view BUT Win 7 maximum count of characters for name of the icon is a looot bigger then in XP, and this cause folders to look ugly and also viewing such folder is very uncomfortable. In XP maximum count of characters for name of the icon is set for 9 characters plus '...'

16mm9f.jpg

but it is 'activated' only when you exceeded 11 characters

21bit75.jpg

In Win 7 on the other hand maximum count of characters for name of the icon is 42 characters plus '...' (SIC!!!!!!!)

but it is not 'activated' until you exceeded 44 characters

http://i43.tinypic.com/veoz7c.jpg

What I need to do to have the same restrictions as in Windows XP?

Last edited:
I don't know what the problem with your system is, but I just created a short with over 100 character.

I'm assumming it can contain 255 characters, same as the file name limit.

Now I thing I know want you mean. You have to single click on the icon, and you'll see the entire name...

Is there any special reason you need all those characters. Using a common name, you'll understand what the shortcut is.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it’s not that!

Please read my post again and look at screens.

(I just want to have it 'pretty' and useful as in Windows XP.)

Unfortunately this is not XP, and things have changed.

There is no way that I know of to change this. The View menu selections are your only choice.

Am I still not getting something here?

There is no way that I know of to change this. The View menu selections are your only choice.

Yes that is correct as far as I know Link Removed due to 404 Error

whoosh,

I'll take the Films folder
Ulead Video Studeo with Dolby Digital, plus the key
Ulead Photoimpact X3

You know when it's time to take a break from posting?

When you try to use the scrollbar in an attached picture:D

whoosh,

I'll take the Films folder
Ulead Video Studeo with Dolby Digital, plus the key
Ulead Photoimpact X3

You know when it's time to take a break from posting?

When you try to use the scrollbar in an attached picture:D

Your welcome but only got 48K uploads or there about :( Bt Internet is slow on uploads

There must be a way to edit it!!
In register or somewhere else!

I don’t believe that sooo many users agree to that view, it looks soooo ugly and it is sooooo uncomfortable to view folders!

Again, Is there any special reason you need all those characters. Using a common name, you'll understand what the shortcut is.

Something like nova.png

How do you even know what the file is without a common name.

I just don;t get that point.

Again, Is there any special reason you need all those characters. Using a common name, you'll understand what the shortcut is.

Something like nova.png

How do you even know what the file is without a common name.

I just don;t get that point.
He saying he wants to change system settings so that it cuts off the name of a file at a certain of character. For example askldfjlkasjdfklsajdflasjkjkldsjladjfksdjkdlalasdflsdjls.jpg gets truncated to askldfjlkas...

That way you don't have a paragraph of text under an icon.

Makes no sense to me, you're welcome to help if you like.

And WTH is askldfjlkasjdfklsajdflasjkjkldsjladjfksdjkdlalasdf lsdjls.jpg .:confused:

Geez, I'd now right away what that file was:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

And WTH is askldfjlkasjdfklsajdflasjkjkldsjladjfksdjkdlalasdf lsdjls.jpg .:confused:

Geez, It now right away what that file was:rolleyes:
I don't how to fix the problem, I was just trying to help clarify. :p

Geez, It now right away what that file was:rolleyes:

U still don’t get it. ;/
Like Kylethedarkn said, I just want to have EVERY file EVERY where truncated to 9 characters +... for example:

(NAME OF FILE IS JUST AN EXAMPLE)
123456789012345jpg will look 123456789....jpg

Thanks to that EVERY FILE on EVERY DISK in EVERY FOLDER will look pretty and viewing folders will be easy JUST LIKE in Windows XP.

Do u get it now?

No i certianly amnot getting it...

On XP, you have
Tiles
Icons
Details
Icon
All these are not available in Windows 7

Again and Again, please tell me why you can't name it a human recognizable name so you know esactly what it is?

Again, this is niot XP, it's Windows 7, things change. OK.

On XP, you have
Tiles
Icons
Details
Icon

Again and Again, please tell me why you can't name it a human recognizable name so you know esactly what it is?

Very true Reghakr.. things do change with new OS's.. some people seem to forget that or just ignore that fact.. ;) In my opinion if all a person wants to do is change everything so that it looks/acts like XP than why the hell bother using Windows 7?.. Really.. ;)

On XP, you have
Tiles
Icons
Details
Icon

U are helpless....

U are helpless....
#

The general consensus would seem to be if you require all you have mentioned . You should have stayed with win XP :)
Have a nice day and good luck with your quest ;)
For it is not available in Windows 7 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back