Windows 7 Media Centre and Xbox360 Configuration Error

Optic-Flare

Good afternoon,
I am currently using Windows 7 X64. My wife recently purchased me an Xbox 360 Elite for my birthday, but I am having some problems setting it up as a media extender. (to put it mildly)

When I go into Windows Media Centre I can immediately see the Xbox with an option to configure, so I jump through the hoops and enter the number from the Xbox into Windows media Centre. I then get the message:

Configuration Error
An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this extender

I have followed the steps at (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932342) several times but removing the certificate and Restarting the Network List Service does not appear to work.

I have tried everything again with the firewall and antivirus off but I still get the same message.
If anyone can give me some help it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
try going to Start > Run, and type services.msc.

Locate the Windows Media Center entries and make sure Windows Media Center services are enabled, especially the Windows Media Extender service.

Last edited:
Hi reghakr,
I think you are on the right track, the Media Center Extender Service was not running, but when I tried to start it I got the following message:

Windows could not start the Media Center Exender Service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I have no idea what that means though! So I did a little digging into the dependencies to see if any of them were not started. The only one I could locate that wasn't started was the PnP-X Bus Enumerator. When I tried to start this I got the message:

Windows could not start the PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator service on Local Computer. Error 0x80070490: Element not found.

Last edited:
Are all the other Windows Media Center entries enabled and started?

Try looking in Device Manager for anything with a yellow flag.

All the other Windows Media Center entries are started by default with the exception of the TV options (I don’t have a TV tuner installed) I started them in any case with no problem. I then went back to the Media Center Extender Service and tried it again, but got the same message. I also tried to start the PnP-X Bus Enumerator service, but again I just got the same message.

The device manager shows everything installed and happy (No yellow flags at all)

Media Center runs fine on the local computer, and I can stream video, music, pictures etc... from the PC to the Xbox 360. But try as I may, I can't link the Xbox 360 to the Media Center.:confused:

Could you provide me a list of the services that are set to Disabled?

this is for Vista, but should apply to Windows 7 as well.

The PnP-X Bus Enumerator service depends on

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Function Discovery Provider Host
DCOM Server Process Launcher

Make sure these are all stated and enabled as well.

Required for

Windows Media Center Extender ServiceLink Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
The following services are set to disabled:

Application Management
Certificate Propagation
INternet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Net. Tcp Port Sharing Service
Netlogon
Ofline Files
Portable Device Enumerator Service
Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector
Remote Registry
Routing and Remote Access
Smart Card
Smart Card Removal Policy
SNMP Trap
WebClient
Windows Remote Management (WS-Management)

Remote Procedure Call (RPC),
Function Discovery Provider Host and
DCOM Server Process Launcher are all running.
Cheers

Optic-Flare

A quick Google search shows this:

I just spent an hour+ trying to figure out why the Media Center Extender Service would not start on my Vista Home Premium PC. If you're having the same problem. Here's what worked for me:
1) On The Log On tab, change the radio button from 'Local System Account' to 'This Account'
2) In the first box, type 'Local Service' and blank out both passwords.
3) Hit Apply or OK and attempt to start the service

It seems to be a common issue........type in "Windows could not start the Media Center Exender Service" in your search engine and look over the results.

I have WMC working on my 360.
though to be honest I prefer playiong videos on the 360 outside of the WMC section when I stream through WMC it seems like rewind fast forward doesn't work as well. plus when you just stream through the MP you can organize your files better.
hope you get it working once I set it up I loved it so much that I bought a second 360 so that I could steam my videos to my TV upstairs. Now if I just had a TV tuner card

Hey thanks for your help guys,
Media Center Extender Service was set to 'Local System Account' so I changed it to 'Local Service' and blanked out the password's but I still get "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

I am beginning to think that it is all related to the PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator which I cannot get to start. I have tried changing the logon for this service from 'Local System account' however when I change it I get the message "Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process."

As above when it is set to 'Local System Account' it won’t start either and has the message: 'Error 0x80070490: Element not found.'

I tried a friends computer on my network and media centre will hook up fine, from that I can assume it isn't the router/network or the Xbox 360 but is specific to my machine for some reason.

I am getting quite used to just diving into my shared folders, but it's like a splinter under my nail and it bugs me that it won't work. (perhaps I am a little compulsive) :(

Last edited:
Solution

In windows 7 :
Go to Start\Control Panel\Network And Internet\Network and Sharing Center\
Left menu : Select "Change advanced sharing settings", Below Media Streaming select "Choose media streaming options"
A list is displayed : Show devices on: Local Network
Xbox 360 : Change "Blocked" to "Allowed"
Also make sure your network connection is not public or else no connections at all will be possible.
Restart xbox and do the setup preparations (the 8-digit thing), restart windows media center application and start the add extender process. Input the 8 digits and the setup should go through.

Good luck guys

Hi jbakholt,
Thank you for taking the time to look into this issue for me.
My Xbox 360 in media streaming options was already set to allowed. I have no problems connecting to the computer or streaming video's, music, and pictures it is just media center that I cannot get to connect my Xbox 360 as an extender.

I just get the same error message :confused::
Configuration Error
An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this extender

Regards
Optic-Flare

Okay that's weird.
Even more wierd is the behaviour of my two Windows 7 computers : I've got two Windows 7 computer. The Windows 7 Professionel is able to hook up with my Xbox 360 but my Home Premium is not.
Btw. have you checked your router configuation? uPNP and multicast has got to be enabled.

I think i have to dig deeper in to this problem now that i've realised that my home premium is not behaving as expected. I'll post again when i've got news.

You're correct about the PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator.

Take a look at this page:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

To my unpleasent surprise my Premium/Professional problem is really not a Windows version problem but rather a ethernet NIC problem. I've now installed Windows 7 on three computers and two of them can be configured with no problems what so ever. So I turned my attention to the ethernet NIC's and I think my nForce 430 based NIC is the problem. It's not firewall related (i've checked for the sometimes hidden nVidia firewall) so maybe it's a uPNP / multicast related problem with the NIC drivers because the computer won't detect any network devices at all while the other two computers detects both my wireless router and my xbox 360.

If you want the quick simple method, there is a programme called TVersity that I use which I've found very useful (Just google it, there is a free and a paid version, the free one has worked fine for me). It streams your library to the XBox in the same way, but it has an option to adjust the bit rate where necessary which I've found very very usefull in ensuring no audiovisual synch errors. I've wound up using this rather than resolving the Media Centre issues.

The only issue I do have is that if you have more than one machine running TVersity, the Xbox doesn't know where to look, though you can set the library to stream files from any given network location

Try this...

"You just need to remove the Media Center Extender certificate first.

To remove the certificate, follow these steps:
1. Click Start , type mmc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
3. Click Certificates, and then click Add.
4. Select Computer account, and then click Next.
5. Select Local computer, and then click Finish.
6. Click OK.
7. In the Navigation Pane under Console Root, expand Certificates, expand Personal, and then click Certificates.
8. Right-click Microsoft Windows Media Center Extender Host, and then click Delete.
After you remove the certificate, uninstall the Extender, and then reinstall the Extender. Follow these steps:
1. Start Windows Media Center.
2. Click Tasks, and then click Settings.
3. Click Extender, and then select the Xbox 360 console.
4. Click Uninstall.
5. After the uninstall process is complete, click Extender again, and then click Configure.
6. When you are prompted for the setup key, follow these steps: a. On the Xbox 360 Media Remote, press the Y button.
b. Press the Windows Media Center Start button.
c. Note the eight-digit setup key.

7. Return to the computer, and then enter the setup key.
8. Complete the Extender setup.

cheers
Gregools"

I found it on a other site...

I GOT IT!

I opened Start Menu -> Run.. -> services.msc. I right clicked the Media Center Extender Service and tried starting it... no luck. I right clicked again and hit Properties -> Dependencies. I saw there are four depdendencies, one of which is Remote Desktop Services, so I right-clicked and hit Start and got another error. I tried setting the Log On tab to Local System and Local Service, but what worked was choosing Network Service and blanking out the password and restarting the service. Then I was was able to start the Media Center Extender Service and add my XBox!

I am having the same issue. I have read the conversation and tried the steps. It did not work for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back