Windows 7 Memory Related Issues - Win 7 64 bit

webtenn

I have the following setup:
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
AMD Quad Core 2.2 Ghz
8 GB Ram

The issue is that when running more than just a few applications it will get to a point where I am unable to open any new applications. When trying to open non Microsoft programs, nothing happens. When trying to open a Microsoft program (such as an Office app) i will get an error message:

"There is not enough memory or disk space"

When running the memory monitor in Windows 7, there is less than 50% memory utilization (usually about 3 - 3.5 GB of ram being used) and hardly any CPU utlization (less than 25% on all 4 cores).

Sometimes closing all of the running applications will correct the issue and then I am able to open a new application. Other times I must restart the computer to clear up the issue.

I have run Malwarebytes to look for spyware that might be causing the issue. It does not find any malware that is creating this 'memory leak' if that is what it is.

FYI - this box originally came with Vista 64 bit and I performed a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips/tools that I can run to try to find the cause of this?

I upgraded the video card a few months back. I am not sure of the timing between adding the new video card and when this issue started occurring. I do believe that it started long after upgrading the video card.

I guess my next step would be to disable the video card and run the onboard video to see if the issue still exists.

The HDD has over 50% capacity remaining free.

Hi Webtenn,

Low memory problems occur when your computer runs out of RAM and becomes low on virtual memory. This can happen when you run more programs than the RAM installed on the computer is designed to support. Low memory problems can also occur when a program does not free up memory that it no longer needs. This problem is called memory overuse or a memory leak.

To prevent low memory problems, there are some useful information to be found here: Preventing low memory problems

Hope this will help you :D

Ahmad AA
Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

I have a similar issue. Hardware - Win7 - 64, Intel core 7 processor, 6GB Ram. Memory usage gradually increases until I can’t open anything. Another issue I noticed when the memory leak started is an error code. “Tab Recovered: A problem with the web page caused internet explorer to close.” It seems that each time I get this error a little more memory is being used.

I have scanned for virus and register issues and ran memory tests. I have found cookies in the virus scan that were fixed but nothing else. I have found register issues that were repaired but didn’t seem to have an impact on the issue. The memory tests haven’t shown an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

I will check it out. At this point I am grasping at straws. I thought I was a fairly good tech until I ran into this one and it has me stumped. :(

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I have tried just about everything and the problem is still occurring. I pulled out the upgraded video card and am now running the onboard video. I also stepped through the settings in attempting to adjust the virtual memory as suggested by w7pro. I am not 100% sure how to prevent the memory leak or preventing programs from not freeing up memory that it no longer needs.

When I stepped through the virtual memory settings, the total paging file size for all drives to set to 7928 MB (I am running 8GB of RAM).

I did notice something else this morning, there was just over 5 GB of constant memory usage with no noticeable programs running. I attempted to open the resource monitor, when they did finally open, it was not displaying anything, just 0 values for everything.

After a restart and opening the memory resource monitor here is what I see:

Available: 6081 MB
Cached: 2475 MB
Total: 7928 MB
Installed: 8192 MB

Hardware Reserved: 264 MB
In Use: 1522 MB
Modified: 323 MB
Standby: 2154 MB
Free: 3930 MB

Back