Windows 7 MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Blue Screen in Vista

I can dimly remember reading in a forum about problems using 4 sticks of RAM as apposed to using two 2GB modules. Unfortunately I'm having real problems remembering where, what mobo was involved and the outcome. I'll see if my brains 'search' function eventually comes up with something and post back..;)

I can dimly remember reading in a forum about problems using 4 sticks of RAM as apposed to using two 2GB modules. Unfortunately I'm having real problems remembering where, what mobo was involved and the outcome. I'll see if my brains 'search' function eventually comes up with something and post back..;)

Yeap I confirm that. This implies that the problem was caused by faulted memory modules (the modules were changed) , or faulted mainboard ,or vista doesn't like 4x1gb modules , or the mainboard doesn't supply enough juice for 4 memory modules .

The problem with mem tests is that small chunks of memory are tested at a time while vista uses large amount of memory in an atomic time unit.
So , in theory , memtests does not replicate full load memory modules usage.
There is no guarantee that a memtest that does not stress all memory modules at a time can reveal if the modules are faulted.
Bottom line, test one memory stick at a time > 6hours to be sure if the module is faulted. If everthing is ok , place the stick to the ex-populated mainboard memory slots and test them one by one.

Mihai

Yeap I confirm that. This implies that the problem was caused by faulted memory modules (the modules were changed) , or faulted mainboard ,or vista doesn't like 4x1gb modules , or the mainboard doesn't supply enough juice for 4 memory modules .

The problem with mem tests is that small chunks of memory are tested at a time while vista uses large amount of memory in an atomic time unit.
So , in theory , memtests does not replicate full load memory modules usage.
There is no guarantee that a memtest that does not stress all memory modules at a time can reveal if the modules are faulted.
Bottom line, test one memory stick at a time > 6hours to be sure if the module is faulted. If everthing is ok , place the stick to the ex-populated mainboard memory slots and test them one by one.

Mihai

At a second thought this does not explain why vista is stable with any 2GB pair that is involved in the 4GB BSOD. I think that memory management is different for 4GB compairing to <3GB. If it stresses the modules more with 4GB would imply faulted ram. If not , this means that it is a vista/driver/software problem.

I hope that we will manage to find the roots of this darned BSOD. Good luck.

Mihai

If I remember correctly it was the mobo at fault and was fixed by a bios revision. I think the mobo was an Asus...:confused:

Hey guys. Its looks like some of you may have a similar problem to me and these guys at the Nvidia forum. NVIDIA Forums > Forceware drivers crash Vista 32bit when 4gb ram

The issue happens when you install over 2gb of RAM with Nvidia drivers. Obviously this doesn't happen with everybody but I'd like to know how I can put those extra 2gb in my computer.

Hi cristoforo . I will check this weekend to see if it is a hardware fault if I have some spare time. For now the situation is unclear so I do not advise you to add extra 2gb ram , if you use vista32. Anyway I will continue to post to this thread till we get to the roots of the problem.

Mihai

If I remember correctly it was the mobo at fault and was fixed by a bios revision. I think the mobo was an Asus...:confused:

I had issues with running 4Gb of ram with mine and I corrected it with a combination of Bios v.2004 and SP1

just my 2 cents

Have the same problem as LordVader.

I recently bought this computer. I got the ASUS P5K mobo with two 866mhz RAM modules (2x1GB).

I ran memtest but it did not indicate any problem at all.

I've got four memory slots. The modules are currently placed in slot 1 and 3.

Will try to switch slots, but i belive it's a compability problem between the mobo and the memory.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT can be for a number of reasons, faulty hardware, the way values are handled by software and the RAM getting full and switching to pagefile. THe hardware is normally the most common. If you want to keep the blue screen up without rebooting you can set this in the performance settings by right-clicking on my computer. I only ever got MEMORY_MANAGEMENT once and that was because I had 40 applications running at once and the PC/vista couldn't handle it!

blue screen: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

I had this proplem and it ocoured often but I fixed it with a simple solutin: well ia have 3 banks of RAM on my notherboard and 2 Ram modules (2x512mb) so placed one module in the firs bank and the seond module of Ram in the third bank, leaving the middle bank empty. I never saw the blue screen again.

Hope it works ...

Yes, worked perfect for me.
I have 3 RAM moduls of 512 Mb.these were placed in DIMs 1, 3 and 4.
After several months some Windows Updated caused this to be a problem. After shofting them around to IMs 1,2 and 4 the problem seems to be resolved (keeping my fingers crossed while typing)

I solved the problem by rebooting into Windows XP. (I have a dual boot environment). Haven't had the problem since. I just skin XP to look like vista, and I have a working OS that looks great.

ASUS A8N5X
Athlon 3700+
2x 512 Corsair DDR400 sticks
2x 1GB OCZ DDR400 sticks
ATI X800 PCI-E Video
SB Live Value

I am having a similar problem, here are my specs

eVGA 680i A2
OCZ 4x1GB advertised speed @ 5-5-5 2.1V 1066mHz
Q6600 2.4Ghz OC'd to 3.0Ghz

my pc doesn't always BSOD but suddenly it BSOD's, I have tested all my ram's each by itself using Memtest and I let each ram atleast pass 8 passes. No errors reported. I just can't figure out what can my problem be. I underclocked and set to stock speed, same problem I would appretiate if someone can help and suggest anything.

Have you checked to see if you have the latest bios for the motherboard?

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Blue Screen in Vista JUST AFTER LOG IN

hey ive got a rather simalar problem

im running :

Mother board : Asrok ALiveN570SLI-eSATA2
CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core Processor 2.50GHz
RAM : 8GB
Graphics , Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT
HDD : 1tb Sata
Powersupply :400watt
Vista Ultimate 64X

When i boot it up , it loads to the log in screen. just after i log in i get a glimps of the desktop and then BSOD

BUT!!!!!!

it will boot just fine in safe mode AND if i take 4gb of memory out AKA 2 2gb sticks it boots up just fine:confused:

any idears

all comments and help will be greatly apreciated

Thanks

nope its gone again , im still back to 4gb

i jut dont get it , this system is brand new , ok the copy of vista aint ;)

but why should i fork out £130 on an operating system that aint gna run anyway ???

2 words...POWER SUPPLY!!!
It is does not have enough power.

I have to admit when I saw you only running a 400W PSU (especially with a quad) I thought you on the tight side.

As you've already noticed the system will start up ok and will also run on idle with no problem. Once you start to max out those cores though you'll be needing some extra ampage. In fact I bet there's enough watts but not enough amps

Here's a link to a power calculator:

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

As I've mentioned though, I think your fine for wattage but may be struggling on the amps especially if it's cheap PSU..

Back