Windows 10 Microsoft clears up some questions about who gets Windows 10 for free

I think the original source is a little(?) clearer:
Clear enough, I think.
Stay as an insider and continue indefinitely as such and don't worry, (be happy). You'll get the GA / RTM, whatever on July 29th (unless that changes) and subsequent updates / builds afterwards.

Opt out of the insider program and your OS (I assume regardless of build / RTM / post RTM) will be time bombed to expire and you're back to square one.

Upgrade from Win7 SP3 and or Win8.1 (Update) and you're good to go.
Version will be like for like, bit for bit and I assume the underlying product key for the OS that you upgraded from will be your ticket to the dance.

Personally I'll be making beau coup system images as well as taking copious notes as to product keys before and after.

"Personally I'll be making beau coup system images as well as taking copious notes as to product keys before and after."
Ditto and likewise

Just been thinking again.
I am a dual boot fan. The future matters not, as I have more than one Windows 8.1 licence. One of those will be kept intact, without the upgrade option.
But, for those with the single licence, who will still wish to dual boot with Windows 10 and, say, Windows 8.1, what will be there situation. They have exchanged there licence for the legalised Windows 10, which, presumably, will be linked to the computer/motherboard. If they then try to dual boot back into Windows 8, I see a possibility that they will find it no longer activated.??

Hi

Great, so if you are running Windows 10 and you are an insider and you have a valid Copy of Windows 8 (with a disk and number) but it's not installed on your computer at the present time what do you have to do to exit the insider program.

Do you have to reinstall Windows 8, update to 8.1 and then update again to Windows 10, or can you just enter your Windows 8 product key someplace and be good to go?

Mike

If you sign in to the insider page, mike, and go right down to the bottom, you will find this:

Capture.PNG

Hi Dave

What I'm concerned about is how I authenticate Windows 10 if I leave the insider program.
It say that your good as long as you stay in, but if you leave you will have to re-authenticate to stay active.

I do have a Windows 8 serial number, I'm hoping they will have a place that I can enter and authenticate it without having to reinstall Windows 8 on my computer, or that is will pick it up from my Bios.

Mike

I'm hoping they will have a place that I can enter and authenticate it
Wouldn't that be nice, wouldn't that even make sense logically. Just enter your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Product key and you're good to go? Might even be a nice way to thank you for the time you spent as a Windows Insider.
But.....
In light of the fact that they want to keep Windows Insiders, I wouldn't expect them to do something as altruistic as that, if you decide to opt out of the program.
I guess we can always hope though.

Back