Windows 10 Microsoft Edge, why so hard to use?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Because I'm having issues with Chrome showing video from my Comcast Home Page, (worked fine until a few days ago) I decided to give Edge a real try, and see if I could make the switch.

I found Edge to be such a pain to use that I decided to live with not being able to see the news videos, (all other videos work normally only the Comcast news videos play sound but shows a black screen) rather then use Edge.

The first thing is that it won't let me drag an address to the address bar, I have to copy and paste it.
Normally in chrome I just drag an address to the address bar and then down to the favorites bar, and I'm done.

The second is that once the page has been copied and pasted, then clicked on and opened, I can't drag the address to the favorites bar.

I have to click on the star icon, open the Favorites dialog box, pick add to Favorites Bar, and then click on Add.

The final straw was when I tried to edit the address description, (because it shows a two to four word description for every link, which means that only a few links uses up the entire line) I right clicked on the link expecting to get the option to edit the link and there isn't one.

I don't know how you edit the link, some other menu someplace maybe, but that was enough.
I'm not going to spend hours adding all my favorites to the favorites bar when it could be done in a few minutes it this worked as well as Chrome does.

Why don't they think this stuff through, it's not like there isn't software out there that they can compare it to.
Maybe they just don't want to look like they are copying Chrome but they would be better off if they picked up all the stuff that Chrome does right and tried to improve on that.

Is anyone actually using Edge as their browser?
Anyone know of a simple way to add their links to the favorites bar, and edit the description?

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

You have such wonderful insight--I asked myself all those same questions while fiddling around with Edge as you did--and I pretty much came to the same conclusion!! Mebbe Microsoft should just hire us to think things through for them for a six-figure salary, and all would be good. You agree? Guess I tried that back in 2000, and they gave me one of their famous "don't call us, we'll call you" speeches at their local office.

About the copying Chrome comment; Gates certainly didn't mind copying the Windows interface on the Mac now did they? :pirate: But, that lawsuit was dropped by Jobs once he was put on the Microsoft Board of Directors and given an office in Redmond HQ and a six-figure salary+stock options. Funny how that worked? :iee:

Nope I'm not using it except when it comes up in an app launch like WX Mail which seems to run in Edge ok. However, I still am using Chrome for everything else, especially Netflix. If I can't use a browser to watch Netflix, my life is turned upside down! Thank Goodness for Chrome! Firefox has too many virusy BHO add-ons for me, and Opera is now out of biz. I agree with you on this.

Last time MS found a really good 3rd party product they couldn't outdo, they simply acquired the company and embedded their product in the next realse of Windows--remember STACKER??? :skull:

Cheers! :rolleyes:
Marc

I even remember Netscape! LOL
Using Edge with native color management to watch Netflix is like doing an easter egg hunt, you have to move your cursor around a black screen and hope to highlight something worth watching, what a joke:you'd think a year would be long enough to fix such a glaring hole. It's impossible to change default search engine options, you get to see it but it's grayed out... they should call it Bing instead of Edge lol

I tried Edge for almost a whole week. But gave up on the fifth day. I really like the look and the extensions worked fine (ABP, Pocket, LastPass, & Pintrest) But what caused me to move were two things: 1. ABP can't hold a candle to Ublock Orign 2. it just wasn't as fast as Firefox. So I'm back to good old trustworthy FF. I'd like Edge to be better. And I think it will. Microsoft is on the right track. As more extensions become available that'll help push Edge's development as well.

I don't bother with it. It's still missing 2 addons I actually use. Web of Trust (W.O.T.) and AI RoboForm.
Windows 10 still has IE 11 in it. It's in Windows Accessories. That may be your best bet. I'm not familiar with Comcast, so I can't give a definite answer on it.
In my opinion Edge is useless.
Suprising you can't get it working in Chrome.
Maybe give Comcast a call and see if they can help you.

Actually I've found Edge useful, for the time being, for one thing. When a legit site doesn't work correctly with all the security and privacy precautions I've taken with Firefox. So I'll open Edge up for those sites, do what I have to do and I'm out!

It works in IE 11. Chrome just says loading. I can hear the video in edge, but no picture shows up.
I did a search for Comcast video and Xfinity works in IE 11.
It doesn't work in Firefox, either.
IE 11 is the only web browser it appears to fully work in.
I don't have Opera, as I don't like how it operates in the last 2 years, so no definitive answer for it working there.
I just found a app in the Windows Store that may interest you called TV for Windows. You need to create a free account and then you get to watch ABC, CBS, NBC,Fox, the CWand. PBS. They have paid plans, too.
I'm watching Green Bay vs. Minnesota's game on it now to test it out.

Ha, that TV for Windows is a great app! I'm not a TV watcher. I'm on the computer more than the couch. So this is great for live events, news, emergencies, weather, etc. ESPECIALLY if one has dual monitors, 2x HP 25vx.

It would be nice if the resolution of it were higher. That's probably in one of their upgrade subscriptions.
I don't really need to pay a 2nd tv service.

I'll have to try that app out again during daytime while f.lux isn't dimming my colors.
I had the game on my hdtv and in the app on my pc. The color looked better on my hdtv.
My monitor beats my hdtv in the looks department, as my monitor is calibrated and it's a ips panel. My hdtv is a tn panel.
Either that or it's the app, as it's not my 112-116 mbps download speed.

Yeah I'm sure the paid subscription offers that and more. But hey to view network channels live, this is great, a clean interface too.

[QUOTE="Why don't they think this stuff through, it's not like there isn't software out there that they can compare it to.
Maybe they just don't want to look like they are copying Chrome but they would be better off if they picked up all the stuff that Chrome does right and tried to improve on that.

Is anyone actually using Edge as their browser?
Anyone know of a simple way to add their links to the favorites bar, and edit the description?

Mike[/QUOTE]

I am using it as my default.
There is, without doubt, a huge need for improvement in the favourites, all round. Setup, import - the works. From my own use, however, I found that once I had imported (From IE) I had no further problems. Adding by dragging is, as you say, not available. Copyingt and pasting is OK with me, as it is not something I use a lot.

"I don't know how you edit the link, some other menu someplace maybe, but that was enough."

Rename.PNG

----
Kurteb
"Using Edge with native color management to watch Netflix is like doing an easter egg hunt, you have to move your cursor around a black screen" - I don't seem to have that problem??

---
I don't use any add-ons, so cannot comment on their application.

---
"It's impossible to change default search engine options, you get to see it but it's grayed out"

I have mine set on Google??

Google.PNG

Don't misunderstand. I have found a use for edge. But it does need smartening up. Browsers are one of those things where you need to choose your poison. There are browsers out there that are really barebones, if you feel it will give you more speed. My own observation is, unfortunately, (with a very slow connection), that they all, in the final analysis, deliver about the same speed, very much dependant on your hardware.

Hi

I found out why I couldn't view the news videos in my Comcast home page with sound.
It's because they block the video if you have "Ad Blocker" activated.

Rather then not use Ad Blocker I switched my home page to the MS one.

I'm not using Chrome anymore either because it didn't work with the Anniversary Update on my computer.

I'm using Fire Fox and it works fine and is easy to use.

Mike

I'm not using Chrome anymore either because it didn't work with the Anniversary Update on my computer.

This tells me you have some other underlying issues with your PC for Chrome not to work. Chrome works just fine for me before and after the AU.

Hi

I agree, but everything else works fine including any other browser.

I've found that I'm not the only one, I found messages from other people having the same problems with Chrome, after the anniversary update, but I've run every scan and test and nothing shows up as a problem.

All my drivers etc, have been updated etc.

If I install Chrome and open it, stuff quits working, like right click menus and the computer slows to a crawl.

Take it out and everything goes back to normal.

I've done it multiple times, over a period of weeks, so it's easier to use Firefox then it is to keep messing with it.

Chrome worked fine up until the anniversary update, (I've used it for years) but I'm not going to do a clean install and start all over if that's the only thing that causes issues.

And here's the really weird part, if I install an older version of Chrome it works fine, no bad effects on my computer, but then it updates and the problems start again.

I figure I'll wait a while and then maybe try again with a later version, but for now I'm happy with Firefox.

Mike

Yeah Mike Chrome works on my pc, too.
I will give you one tip, actually two tips. Tip #1 use Adblock Plus instead of Adblock in Edge. Tip #2. Use Ad-Muncher, too. It's now free and works in every web browser. I've been using it for over 11 years now. Here's a link to download it. Ad Muncher: Free ad blocking for all browsers

LoboVerde: Yeah, I like it, so far. Now, I can watch my sports in surround sound again.

Last edited:
Back