Windows 10 Microsoft Mail Problem

kgash

Extraordinary Member
Windows mail does not work. I cannot Manage Accounts. When I open the Manage window and click on any account, nothing happens. I cannot add or delete accounts. Mail does not come in on the accounts I have previously set. One of my accounts can send messages but it does not receive them; the other account can neither send or receive.
I have already followed the instructions to remove Mail and reinstalled it from the WIndows store app download and the account settings (and the problems) came back as if they were never removed.
I don't use Mail very often so I am not sure when (and which build) the problem started.

You can try resetting the application
  • Rename or delete "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe" (I usually just append .old)
  • Open a powershell prompt and type the following Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8730.21725.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode

You can try resetting the application
  • Rename or delete "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe" (I usually just append .old)
  • Open a powershell prompt and type the following Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8730.21725.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode
Thank you for the suggestion. When I tried to rename the folder, I got the message that it can't rename because a file in it is open. How do I fix this?

The mail application may still be running, open task manager and kill the process if it is.

I ran the Powershell command and it failed:
PS C:\Users\kgash> Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8730.21725.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode
Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8730.21725.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it
does not exist.
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windows ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Try running this
Get-AppxPackage | ? { $_.Name -like "*commun*" } | select InstallLocation

If it returns a path see if it's different. If it is you'll need to substitute the path I gave you for that one.

If I understand correctly, I ran the command and it returned a location. I pasted that path string in place of the path in the original
PS you sent and ran it. This is what I got in response:

PS C:\Users\kgash> Get-AppxPackage | ? { $_.Name -like "*commun*" } | select InstallLocation

InstallLocation
---------------
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8827.21345.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

PS C:\Users\kgash> Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8827.21345.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode
Add-AppxPackage : An invalid manifest file name was passed to this function. This file must be named AppxManifest.xml
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windows ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Add-AppxPackage], ArgumentException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

After appending \appxManifest.xlm and subetituting the path, the PS command fan correctly. Now the Mail icon is grayed out and won't run.
Do i need to reinstall it?

I went to Store and reinstalled Mail.
When I open it, I get a brand new screen with no accounts added. When I click on Add account, nothing happens!
This is the exact behavior I had with Mail before I went through this resetting process.
Apparently, there is something else wrong.

Follow up: I waited a bit and restarted Windows and tried Mail again. It now opened with one of my accounts in the Welcome box. When I clicked go to inbox. I got back to the exact setup I had before we started.

Since the problem has not been fixed, I wondered if you, or any others on the forum, had any additional suggestions?

Back