Windows 7 Microsoft Office and Visual Studio install problem

zvit

Honorable Member
I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I love it. Works great. All my programs, 32bit and 64-bit work fine. My only problem is 2 programs that I can't install!

1. Microsoft Office
2, Microsoft Visual Studio

I tried Office 2007 and 2010.
I tried Visual Studio 2005 and 2008.

First Office:

Both with Office 2007 and 2010, it says that it installed OK. But when ever I try to open an office file (word, excel.... etc...) the doc starts opening but at the same time an installation window comes up that says it's installing configurations. If I wait a few minutes, it will open OK. Also, if I cancel the installation window, the doc will open OK. I tried installing only ONE application, like only WORD, but the same problem happens. THEN I tried to UN-install to install again but installing again doesn't solve the problem.

With Office 2010 I tried both 32-bit AND 64-bit. Both had the same problem.

With Visual Studio:

Both 2005 and 2008 had the same problem. It just doesn't install! I will zip through installation proccess in a few seconds and say that it had an error installing and that I should go to the Microsoft website to see how to resolve my installation issue. Of course I could not find any solotions there or I wouldn't be writing here.

What is wrong? How do I get Office onto my computer?????

p.s. I think it's a registry issue that I read about alot on the net. I did all the work arounds (reg files that give you admin control) but NONE helped. One even made my computet unbootable and I had to restore it.

The registry issue is terrible and I think bigger programs are not able to be installed because of it.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Hi zvit,
when you installed 7 was it an upgrade or clean install?

Are you able to check regedit.exe to see if you have an entry?

If so, go to the following key and see if you have such an entry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
rename MachineThrottling to _MachineThrottling"

I got this off another forum, and even though I have Office 2007 installed, I do not show any values for this key. If you do show MachineThrottling, you might try changing it to _MachineThrottling if you feel comfortable, but be aware changing the registry could cause problems for you. Back it up first if you feel a need.

Well, another WAG! If you have a firewall (and/or antivirus) running you might try shutting it down while you install. The reason I suggest is that I see Zone Alarm warning me about msi access quite often. It may be something totally different, but something to try. Disconnect from the net to be safe if you want.

Back