Windows 8 Microsoft Outlook 2010 address book folder/ file moved or deleted

Wladyslaw Mihulka

When I try to access my Address Book on Microsoft Outlook when making a new email , I get a message saying "the address list cannot be displayed. The Contacts Folder Associated with this address list could not be opened;
it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the outlook address book, see Microsoft Outlook Hep". Can someone help me on how to restore it if possible. Thanks Wm

Last edited:
I would find a forum specializing in MS Outlook and ask the question there.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/928

Technical support options
Get Microsoft technical support
To contact a Microsoft support professional, click on the product and version below that is applicable to you. We’ll ask you a few questions to help us determine what your support options are. The support options may include email, on-line submission or phone support.
To find out what version you have, click the Start button, click to show All Programs, click the Office folder and view the version listed with the program names.

I would find a forum specializing in MS Outlook and ask the question there.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/928

Technical support options
Get Microsoft technical support
To contact a Microsoft support professional, click on the product and version below that is applicable to you. We’ll ask you a few questions to help us determine what your support options are. The support options may include email, on-line submission or phone support.
To find out what version you have, click the Start button, click to show All Programs, click the Office folder and view the version listed with the program names.
I have Outlook 2010 version After looking at the manual version of the fix you sent me it scared me off trying, just tried the button fix, as I am not that well versed on computer things and it got a bit complicated for my head. I have recently done two things that may or may not be the cause of losing some of address book pst files (1) upgrading to windows 8.1 pro from win 8. (2) I copied my files to save onto external hard drive in case of loss (Ironically). Thanks for your suggestion about technical help, but I fear to expensive for me many thanks for your time for now anyway. WM

Last edited:
You have backed up your pst files to an ext. hdd?
In that case, and assuming you did the backup correctly, here is how to IMPORT the address book back to your Outlook 2010.

How to import .pst file data into Outlook
You can use the backup copy of your .pst file to restore your Outlook data if the original .pst file is damaged or lost. Everything that is saved in the .pst file is returned to Outlook.

In Outlook 2010:
Follow these steps to restore, or import, your data into Outlook:
  1. Click the File tab.
  2. In the Open category, click Import.
  3. In the Import and Export Wizard, click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
  4. Click Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
  5. Type the path and the name of the .pst file that you want to import, or click Browse to choose the file to import.

Note Under Options, it is recommended that you click Do not import duplicates, unless you want the imported information to replace or duplicate items that are already in Outlook.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Select the folder that you want to import. To import everything in the .pst file, select the top of the hierarchy.

Note The top folder (usually Personal Folders, Outlook Data File or your email address) is selected automatically. Include subfolders is selected by default. All folders under the folder selected will be imported
  8. Click Finish.
Here is the link to the above excerpt..............
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

NOTE : I f you are not comfortable to follow the tutorial, find a friend to assist you.

You have backed up your pst files to an ext. hdd?
In that case, and assuming you did the backup correctly, here is how to IMPORT the address book back to your Outlook 2010.

How to import .pst file data into Outlook
You can use the backup copy of your .pst file to restore your Outlook data if the original .pst file is damaged or lost. Everything that is saved in the .pst file is returned to Outlook.

In Outlook 2010:
Follow these steps to restore, or import, your data into Outlook:
  1. Click the File tab.
  2. In the Open category, click Import.
  3. In the Import and Export Wizard, click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
  4. Click Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
  5. Type the path and the name of the .pst file that you want to import, or click Browse to choose the file to import.

Note Under Options, it is recommended that you click Do not import duplicates, unless you want the imported information to replace or duplicate items that are already in Outlook.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Select the folder that you want to import. To import everything in the .pst file, select the top of the hierarchy.

Note The top folder (usually Personal Folders, Outlook Data File or your email address) is selected automatically. Include subfolders is selected by default. All folders under the folder selected will be imported
  8. Click Finish.
Here is the link to the above excerpt..............
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

NOTE : I f you are not comfortable to follow the tutorial, find a friend to assist you.
I assumed that because I was (copying files only) that it would not affect them, and assuming it was that and not the upgrade to win 8.1pro that caused the problem ! Anyway many thanks for your kind help to date regards from a keen amateur. WM

Yes, you can easily restore deleted contacts from address book by using free inbuilt utility provided by Microsoft “Scanpst.exe”. But in case while the corruption level is high, at that time you should move on the third party utility like-SysTools Address Book Recovery software.

Back
Top Bottom