Windows 7 Microsoft Security Essentials real time protection

tbint

Does anyone use Microsoft Security Essentials? I was wounder if it the virus/malware has real time protection. I currently use avast free. They are starting to get nag screens about upgrading. I read on a google search that Microsoft Security Essentials does not have nag screens.

I do believe that protecting my PC is important. It just seems to me that most programs have way more protection then I need and no program and price to fit my need without the nags.

Real time scanning is a must,, manual scanning is not as high priority as long as the real time is doing its job.

It really would be nice to find a program with just the needed features.

Teddy

Running Windows 7

Hi Teddy,

in answer to your query, yes MSE does have real time protection which can be turned on or off depending on the situation (installing new drivers for example).
I think most of the staff use and recommend it here on the forums so your in good company. As an added level of protection, I along with others, also have Malwarebytes as part of the virus/malware killing arsenal as they work very well alongside each other..

Use it also here on my 3 PCs for a long time now... it's so unobtrusive you barely notice its there... but all scans by other branded antivirus and malware scanners using standalone bootdisk methods have showed it does indeed stop the vast majority of infestations.

I just installed it after having problems with Avast and AVG. It seems fine to me I also use MBAM free.
Joe

I was just wanting to run it by itself. I thought windows firewall, and windows defender for malware. plus the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool should be enough. As long as the real time does a good job keeping from getting infected in the first place.

I have to turn it of to install new programs, drivers, etc??

It depends on what software and drivers you are installing. I do for complex ones like video card and VMware. I would also suggest updating your netframework 4.0 to the full version. After I updated mine I noticed an improvement on MSE.
Joe

I was just wanting to run it by itself. I thought windows firewall, and windows defender for malware. plus the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool should be enough. As long as the real time does a good job keeping from getting infected in the first place.

I have to turn it of to install new programs, drivers, etc??

Like Sonny say's, some video drivers (AMD for example) recommend you turn off any anti virus apps running whilst installing.

Back
Top Bottom