Windows 8 Microsoft support for Windows 8 has now ended.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft officially stopped supporting Windows 8 as of yesterday, the 12th January 2016. If you want to continue receiving support ( security updates etc) then one needs to either update to Windows 8.1 (free by the way) or downgrade to Windows 7.
Support for Windows 8.1 ends in 2023 whilst Windows 7 is good until 2020. This screenshot shows the relative dates:
gen.JPG

Microsoft recommends upgrading windows 8 to windows 8.1.1 but just to be very clear, a windows 8 user got 2 more years in which to commit to that update and was still supported during this extended period... which is now over... you can also upgrade to 8.1.1 then continue on to Windows 10 (getting WX this way is Free) if 8.1.1 doesn't frill you... I don't recommend WX because Microsoft hasn't imo put much effort into their drivers but it's still an option you may want to look at.

ref: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/gp/lifecycle-windows81-faq
Screenshot (449).png

The screenshot does not show any end of support date for Windows 8.
It just mentions the end date of Windows 8 which is in 2023.

I believe updating from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 is easy and free.
And there is not much difference between Windows 8 and 8.1 apart from Windows the start menu.
I am wondering what is the end of support date for Windows 8

Windows 8 to 8.1 is a free upgrade to anyone who has a valid licence

Windows 8 support was officially suspended which is why the upgrade is free... Not they're not the same and the underlying code isn't compatible

Also note that Windows update service will not work for this upgrade and you have to Goto Microsoft store to get it... Anyone who runs a valid 8 licence should get a prompt when ever they open the store app

Sent from my SP9 using Windows Forums mobile app

Back