Microsoft Windows Home Server Video Tutorial Series

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
In a latest video tutorial effort, I will be attempting to show how to properly install, configure, and maintain Microsoft Windows Home Server. The latest video has been finished, while the setup and configuration portion is currently in development. I hope to offer transcripts of these guides, as well as some insight into the operating system. Time constraints are currently preventing me from producing the next video, but this should change soon enough.

In the final installment of a two part series, I demonstrate how to connect your client computers, on the same local area network (LAN), to Windows Home Server using the Windows Home Server Connector disc. I cover a range of options that are now presented by Home Server such as:

• Ability to manage remotely, from any computer using the connector
  • Ability to share any type of files, and share media
  • Updates to Home Server such as Power Pack 1 and Power Pack 2
  • How to set up, maintain, and use Home Server functions like Backup
  • The advantages and disadvantages of a Home Server set up.

Remember that Home Server does have limitations that are hard coded and introduced into the operating system, hence its relatively low cost in comparison to other Windows Server editions. Windows Home Server cannot be used, managed, or have infrastructure designed around it that is in any way similar to Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 editions. Windows Home Server IS a media server, backup, and data recovery solution. It is NOT a way to manage a large number, or even small number of computers extensively. It is also limited to 5 computers. The minimum hardware requirements are:

To run:

• 1.0-1.2 GHz Intel Pentium 3 (or equivalent) processor
  • 512-1024 MB RAM
  • 64-80 GB internal hard drive as primary drive
  • 100 Mbit/s wired Ethernet (prefer 1GBit)
For install-only:

• Bootable DVD drive or USB stick
  • Display
  • Keyboard and mouse
Enjoy these segments on Windows Home Server.

Back