Windows 7 Microsofts new security freeware

Here it is two weeks later and still no viruses on my computer. MSE must be working. It doesn't seem to effect any of my programs so I'm sticking with it, and will install it on my retail version of Windows 7 when I get it.

:)

How did you guys get so much rep power? 200 and 300 and 385 for many here... I only got 27 ... I don't know what they are but I think I want some.

can MSE be used in conjunction with AVG/AVG Free/Norton/McAfee? I've been using AVG Free with XP and W7 and haven't had any problems

You could try it and I should imagine it would be ok... You'll just have to see if there are any conflicts or not.. If your already running one security system though why would you want another running as well?

Generally speaking it is not wise to try and run 2 seperate Anti Virus programs on the same system.
They can and do cause conflicts. They will at some point start fighting each other and it can (will) at some point create a bigger mess than you really want to deal with.

So, can it be done? Yes.
Should it? No.

Makes me mad they got rid of Windows Live OneCare. I paid $50 a year for that and they just get rid of it... for what? Pff.. i'll miss all it's good features.

You never know? They may remove Defender and put this in it's place?

If you cancel, they will credit your credit card back with a rebate. I cancelled (OneCare) after several months and still got a $38.95 credit.

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials . No complaints at all .

I was using it and thought it was very good although I'm back to AVG for the moment (can't remember why but I was fiddling with something..anyway I digress) Yes I'd recommend it..

I was using it and thought it was very good although I'm back to AVG for the moment (can't remember why but I was fiddling with something..anyway I digress) Yes I'd recommend it..

Good to know you recommend it . I should not be surprised it is good . For some reason I am !

Microsoft makes the best free anti-virus software

Security thy name is Microsoft?
By Nick Farrell
Thursday, 24 December 2009, 09:14

SOFTWARE MONOPOLIST Microsoft makes the best free anti-virus program on the market, it seems.
According to anti-malware testing group Link Removed due to 404 Error Microsoft Security Essentials got its top rating.
Previously it said that the software was very good at removing malware, but now it is saying that it is also the best in terms of performance too.
The insecurity geniuses at AV-Comparatives.org ran a series of real-world tests running through common scenarios like downloading, extracting, copying, and encoding files, installing and launching applications, and they also ran through an automated testing suite as well.
The Vole was the only one to block and remove malware well, while hardly chewing up any resources at all.
According to the firm, Microsoft Security Essentials was the best-performing free antivirus solution, and one of only two that received a "very fast" rating on all of the real-world tests, earning it the company's top award, an "advanced+" ranking. µ
Microsoft makes the best free anti-virus software - The Inquirer

I am running MS security essentials great stuff , works fantastically :) Link Removed due to 404 Error

I think , it is the equal of many well known brands of anti-virus , if not superior . Free and comes in 32X and 64X . Plus it updates itself . Many free anti virus rely on the user to update the virus protection .

Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1959.0

Microsoft has released a new Version 1.0.1959.0 of its free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) anti-malware package for Windows XP, Vista and 7. To update an existing installation of MSE to this latest version, either download the file below and run it; open MSE, click the small arrow next to the Help button on the main screen and select the Upgrade option; or wait to be prompted by MSE or Windows Update for the upgrade.

Download details: Microsoft Security Essentials

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1959.0

Just to add re the above. Make sure you use the Windows download manager otherwise the download is incomplete and won't run..

Back