Windows 7 Missing Desktop icons

sparky60

Hi I've got Windows 7 Premium imstalled, and like most people on the planet, I hate the shortcut arrows. My normal fix is to edit the registry and make IsShortcutNot=1.

The trouble is that stops you adding items to the jump list etc. So I settled for making the arrow invisible. I don't know whether that caused the problem, but since then I have only got the main icons, the rest are completely invisible.

If I hover over them, I can see an outline, and double clicking opens/runs as per normal... :mad:

Regards

Bob

Try this and reboot: Click "Start" and type and enter "ap" to enter the appearance menu. Click "best performance" then go back to "Let Windows choose.."

You also need to undo that shortcut tweak because all the old shortcut arrow tricks screw up windows 7.

Google Windows 7 Toolkit 1.8 and use it... it takes off the arrows the correct way.

That registry haxk is a bad idea

Note: This tweak effectively changes the properties of shortcuts so they are no longer considered to be shortcuts by Windows, this may have some slight side effects, such as hot keys not working as before.

You will also find you an no longer pin items to the taskbar after applying that Vista fix.

I have attached a complete package, which you can use to restore the arrows,and then then apply the correct fix.

Not my original work. Copied into my Dbase from a site somewhere out there!

Tblounts suggestion (Windows 7 Toolkit) is quicker and saves you the trouble of applying the hacks. But, restore the original arrows first.

Last edited:
Problem Fixed.

Try this and reboot: Click "Start" and type and enter "ap" to enter the appearance menu. Click "best performance" then go back to "Let Windows choose.."

You also need to undo that shortcut tweak because all the old shortcut arrow tricks screw up windows 7.

Google Windows 7 Toolkit 1.8 and use it... it takes off the arrows the correct way.

I'm not quite sure exactly what I did, but I have the icons back !! First I enabled UAC on it's lowest level. This didn't do anything at all. I then turned UAC off completely again, and rebooted the PC. Lo and behold all the icons were back again ?? Kind Regards Bob Moore

Good on you, Bob. Don't computers just make so much sense, eh?

Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

Sometimes, only sometime. I have been playing around with PC's for about 15 years, and I always hated Windows shortcut arrows. In fact one of the first things I do when I install a new Windows version, or reinstall existing version, is change IsShortcut to Is ShortcutNot !! Typical of Microsoft to bugger it up in the new version..... :) Bob

"Typical of Microsoft to bugger it up in the new version."

I am not a Microsoft "fanboy", in fact have been openly critical of their work on their own pages., but, fwiw, Microsoft have never, to the best of my knowledge, right through the Vista and Windows 7 era, made a statement regarding the removal of the shortcut arrows. Many users of Microsoft social forums, including MVP,s have come up with, basically, the same suggestion.

The desktop icon arrow is only indicating a link to the program. I understand another way is to actually drag the progam to the desktop??

The issue doesn't arise if the Desktop has no icons

Drew
Drew. I always used desktop icons til just a few days ago. I kinda like the clear desktop. :) I disable the gadget view and all I have is a pretty picture.

I'm totally with you on this one... Icons are just clutter.. I like my desktop with as little on it as possible..

Total agreement. This is mine.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Wow....Now that's minimilist! I've got a bit more than that but only cuz I find em very useful..

Now that would drive me nutz... But it's whatever works I guess...

Lol, that's a relief. I was gonna say that's gotta be the awfullest desktop I've ever seen.

I should say that mine was a joke also. The desktop has it's uses. I do have the shortcuts for the daily programs installed. Not many - as you could see, I still have spare space on the taskbar should I need more.

I was initially really rather impressed that you could actually work from such a carcophony but alas, see, now I'm disappointed....;)

Back