Lydon

I’ve been running Windows 7 Build 7000 since February without any major issues (the biggest being my Netgear wifi dongle not having a driver, which wasn’t fixed with much hassle involved). Yesterday I decided to install RC1, and strangely I’ve been having a few problems since.

Monitor Issues
After installing RC1 and restarting my PC after installing a few programs, I experienced no issues with my monitor. I then later restarted it after having installed a few more programs (all programs I used in Build 7000) and upon startup, I found out that Windows couldn’t detect my monitor. I looked around in settings to see if anything was amiss, but I saw nothing, so I shut down my PC, unplugged my monitor and restarted. No luck. I shut down and unplugged it again, then I restarted it and it detected it fine.

It was working fine for most of today. I’ve done numerous restarted, but this evening randomly upon restarting it didn’t detect my monitor since then. I’ve tried doing what I did yesterday but to no avail. It detects my monitor as a “Generic Plug & Play Monitor,â€Â￾ meaning I’m running at a really whack resolution and can’t seem to figure out what’s causing the problem.

I haven’t experienced any issues with my monitor until now.

Wireless Network
For some reason, at random intervals, Windows seems to lose the connection my wireless network (after having at least 80-100% signal all the time). In order to reconnect I need to unplug my dongle and re-plug it in. This is especially annoying when I leave overnight downloads as the network will disconnect and not reconnect itself.

Any ideas as to what’s causing the problem? I was previously running XP Professional SP3 and wasn’t experiencing any issues, but I noticed this happening (albeit far less often) in W7 Build 7000 too.

Thanks for the help :)

Solution
It seems like you're experiencing some issues after upgrading to Windows 7 RC1. Let's address your problems step by step:

Monitor Issues:​

1. Detection Problem:
    • Symptoms: Windows intermittently fails to detect your monitor properly, showing it as a "Generic Plug & Play Monitor."
    • Troubleshooting:
      • Check the connections: Ensure that the cables connecting your monitor to the PC are secure.
      • Monitor driver: Update or reinstall the monitor driver. You may need to manually select the correct monitor model.
      • Windows Update: Check for any available updates that might include driver updates for your monitor.
    []Resolution and Settings:
    • Symptoms: Incorrect...
It seems like you're experiencing some issues after upgrading to Windows 7 RC1. Let's address your problems step by step:

Monitor Issues:​

1. Detection Problem:
    • Symptoms: Windows intermittently fails to detect your monitor properly, showing it as a "Generic Plug & Play Monitor."
    • Troubleshooting:
      • Check the connections: Ensure that the cables connecting your monitor to the PC are secure.
      • Monitor driver: Update or reinstall the monitor driver. You may need to manually select the correct monitor model.
      • Windows Update: Check for any available updates that might include driver updates for your monitor.
    []Resolution and Settings:
    • Symptoms: Incorrect resolution settings due to the monitor being detected as generic.
    • Resolution:
      • Adjust display settings: Go to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display. Check and set the correct resolution.
      • Graphic drivers: Ensure your graphic card drivers are up to date as they play a role in display settings.

Wireless Network:​

[
    ]Intermittent Disconnection:
    • Symptoms: Random disconnection from Wi-Fi network requiring dongle re-plugging.
    • Possible Solutions:
      • Power management: Check the power settings of your USB ports to prevent them from powering off to save energy.
      • Driver update: Ensure that you have the latest driver for your Netgear Wi-Fi dongle.
      • Signal interference: Check if there are any conflicting devices causing wireless interference.

General Tips:​

• Compatibility: Double-check if your hardware components are fully compatible with Windows 7 RC1.
        • Driver Updates: Ensure that all your drivers are up to date, especially for critical components like the monitor, Wi-Fi dongle, and graphics card.
        • Boot Order: At times, changing the boot order of starting up devices in the BIOS can resolve detection issues.
        Given the intermittent nature of these issues, trying these steps might help stabilize your system. If problems persist, further troubleshooting or expert assistance may be needed.

Solution
Back