Windows 7 monitor issue...can't wake up monitor from sleep

rjizzo

I have a HP pc with Windows 7 and a 6 year old Dell monitor attached. Initially there were no problems, but eventually the monitor wouldn't wake up from sleep mode. Now, the monitor will come on for a second and then won't wake up. The desktop is visible for a second before it goes to sleep. The problem has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 months. Two months ago it would come on and stay on, now it only comes on for a second. Is it a video card issue? Also, a sidenote, even though I put in a valid product code, it says it isn't a valid copy.

The issue with the monitor could, as you seem to suspect, be an issue with the video driver. Some detailed information specific to the Manufacturer, Model Name, and Model Number of the Video Card you are using might help us track down a viable driver for the device.
Also, a sidenote, even though I put in a valid product code, it says it isn't a valid copy.
I assume you are talking about the product code for the OS (Windows 7)?
Not sure if this is still applicable but it's possible I guess, depending on how long you've been getting this message, that you have a pre-release version of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 installed on the computer. If that is the case you need to remove it (Open Control Panel and click Programs, and then click Programs and Features. In left pane, click on View installed updates, locate the pre-release version of Sp 1 and click uninstall) and download and install the final release. Read the text under the instructions section first to help you identify the appropriate product for your install.
If not you'll need to call Microsoft and get them to help you sort out the issue.

Back