Windows 7 Monitor will not come out of standby....

HenryTS77

I have a Foxconn A7GM-S motherboard (with onboard ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics ) with the latest BIOS flashed into it ( 799F1P15 ) with 4 GB of ram installed in my system with a SVGA 17" CRT monitor plugged into the VGA port. I have been using this setup with Windows Vista with absolutely no problem. I recently decided to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate and that is when I ran into a problem. I had problems with the install in what I thought was hanging but it seems it was due to the same problem I am having now. When Windows boots up it shows the Windows startup a screen at first and then the monitor goes into standby (screen goes dark and indicator light on monitor goes from green to orange) and stays that way. I know the startup completes as I hear the sounds Windows makes when it is done booting. When I boot into safe mode the monitor stays on and if I change the video driver in the control panel for the display adapter to the generic VGA one provided by Microsoft the monitor stays on during a regular boot and I am able to set the resolution to high levels as well as 32 bit color . I have tried upgrading the drivers for the ATI RADEON 3200 HD graphics with drivers for Windows 7 from the Foxconn site, the ATI (AMD) site and from the Windows update and it reverts to the same problem. I do note that in the BIOS it only lists DVI and HDMI as video output choices but under Vista the VGA output remained active so it should be able do so under Windows 7. I have contacted Microsoft and ATI (AMD) and was told by both to contact the manufacturer of my motherboard as this appears to be a driver/bios issue but have gotten no reply from them. I eventually will be using the system as my entertainment PC so will be using the HDMI output mainly but would still like to be able to use my CRT monitor as an auxiliary monitor to work on the computer without tying up the TV and would like not to go through the hassle of changing display drivers/modes each time. Is there an older driver or bios I can use that would allow me to keep the VGA output live under Windows 7 -any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for that link kemical - it is a great source of drivers and overall info. Unfortunately the earliest driver package that would run on my system (in normal or compatibilty mode) did not solve my problem. However after playing around with settings on the VGA driver that works it said that if I set my resolution to less than 1600 x 1200 (in VGA ??) some items may not be visible so I tried that setting (obviously beyond my CRT monitor's range) and the screen went dark and the monitor went into standby. I am wondering if somehow Windows 7 is forcing the default resolution of the driver to beyond the range my monitor can handle (presuming most people use flat panels by now??). I notice that during startup the monitor goes dark and into standby at the point when during a normal start up the screen seems to switch to a higher resolution but im my case the screen goes dark and the monitor goes into stanby just as it did when I set the resolution too high manually. Now to figure out where the default resolution is stored :-/

Hmm... Henry have you tried pressing F8 whilst booting to open the advanced booting console? It's here you'll find a setting to start the machine in a low resolution of 640x480.

Hmmm - now that I think about it I did try that and the screen still went blank and the monitor went into standby - so much for my theory that Windows 7 is forcing a startup in a too high resolution- what is puzzling is that the display stays on in safe mode using the same driver. Sigh - this SUCKS :(

Back