Windows 7 Mouse cursor problem after defrag

Longone

Hey! :p

I just reinstalled Win 7 U. 64 and thought it would be a good time to do a defrag to my C: drive. It was needed....

But after it was done my mouse cursor startet to act a bit strange. Every 5 seconds it blinks with the "working in the background" cursor. And it is EVERY 5 seconds no matter what the pc is doing. Not working at all or working at full load.

I have tried to reinstall the mouse driver but it didn't help. It's a Logitech MX 5500 mouse/keybord set. I have also tried to change the cursors and it didn't help either.

Hope someone can help me out. I really don't want to reinstall everything again.

Try running chkdsk. Make sure you tick the box to repair broken sectors. Also have you ran any anti virus or malware scans?

Thanks for the reply.

I just ran a chkdsk and it didn't find any problems. I am running a virus scan right now. So won't know about that for some time.

I forgot to say that the reason i reinstalled Win 7 was that it has happen once before. it drove me crasy for 2 week's and i reinstalled and it was gone.

Hmm... let me know how the scan goes and we'll go from there..

Okay. Here is what else i have tried.

The virus scan didn't find anything. I have tried a system restore, didn't do anything. I have tried changeing the cursors, nothing. I have tried to disable the diskfrag auto funktion thingy, and turn it back on, nothing changed.

This is really getting on my nerves. I really don't want to reinstall allready again..... :(

Hmm... What about pressing F8 whilst booting to get to the advanced boot menu and then using the setting of 'Last good known configuration'?

Might be worth a try..

Edit: Just another thought.. Have you tried a different USB port? The ports at the back are usually the fastest.

Is this a blue tooth device, if so another blue tooth transceiver in range can cause similar issues. Check you computer documentation and make sure that the computer doesn't have an embedded blue tooth device which may be an issue. Also
Control Panel, power options, plan settings, change settings, change advanced setting, expand USB setting change USB selective suspend setting to disable, (that's of course assuming that the blue tooth transceiver for your devices is plugged into a USB port).
Also open device manager, expand universal serial bus controllers, select each "Hub" (generic or root), right click choose properties, select power management tab, uncheck allow computer to turn off, see if that makes any difference. Also check both power management settings and device manager for any specific references to your particular devices, that may have been added to each or either as a product of installing the software and drivers for these devices.
Keep us posted.

This is really strange. Nothing i tries seems to make any difference at all. I have tires everything written in the las to posts and it still "blinks" every 5 seconds.....

I hope i don't sound ungreatfull. i'm really happy for all the help i can get with this, but it seems to me, like i need to install WIn again.

If I understand correctly, you recently reinstalled Win7, because of the exact problem you are having now. So, I'm just wondering, since it was apparently working and then it wasn't, you reinstalled and subsequently it was working and now it isn't, if an intentional or unintentional hardware driver update either by you or by Windows Update may have resulted in your present predicament.
You could always maybe attempt a driver roll back from within device manager if that is an option.
I'm not certain that yet another reinstall of Windows 7, wouldn't, sometime in the not to far distant future find you right back to where you are now.
Is there anything peculiar about the surface that the mouse in on, some grained surfaces, reflective surfaces or transparent surfaces can produce unexpected behavior.
On the whole, I personally have not had very good experiences with wireless keyboards and mice, especially blue tooth and laser, they are a heck of a convenience when they are working properly, but often not worth the pain. I have resorted back to wired for reliability, when I click I want something to happen and when I strike a key, I don't want to have to wait.

The only time(s) i have had any problems with my mouse and keybord is when thay are close to running out of power. I love the MX 5500 set. I am doing some 3D for a hobby and the mouse is so stable when drawing smal lines or adding small particles on a texture....

And the strange thing to me is that it has happend (twice) after useing the defrag, and it is something you notis everytime you look at the screen, so im sure it didn't start untill after i ran it.

I just tried putting it on my desk and the blinking is still there. I will try the driver thing you talked about and see if there should be any change.

I didn't mean to question your decision to use such a device nor to challenge the quality and viability of the devices themselves. I am absolutely sure that all such devices have many attractive qualities and features, retailers sell them by the ton.
I was only pointing out what my personal experience has been.
Now to the issue, I am not completely convinced that using the defrag utility caused the issue, I suspect and hope that it was just a coincidence; but, just for the heck of it have you tried to defrag again, or maybe use a third party disc defragger. I know Auslogic makes one and believe you can probably find a few others with google, often free. If you suspect defrag broke it, maybe defrag can fix it. Couldn't hurt. (sort of like, if you can't make it better, then make it worse and start from there)

Sorry M8. Didn't mean to bite your head off.

I have been sitting here most of the day. On a normal day that would be fine, but with that little ring turning up every 5 seconds, i'm just getting a bit "#%¤&#%""## :)

I'm gonne try these things tomorrow. I'm gonna put a movie on before i go to bed and hope a gnome comes tonight and fixes my pc! :)

Thanks for all you help so far. Both of you!

Perfectly understandable, I would be too. Enjoy the movie and if the gnome shows up make sure to leave him directions on how to join this forum, we can always use the help.

Gnome power rocks!!! :)

Or one of the things you guys told me to try yesterday work. WOOHOO!!

I ran a defrag last night while watching a movie and this morning (it's 5:50 am right now) when i had a look, trying to figure what to do. It was gone. I just wish i knew what part(s) of it that worked...

Thanks a lot for all your help i this. I REALLY appreciate it. Thanks again. :)

Back