Windows 10 Mouse wheel sometimes changes it's function

Azhrei

Extraordinary Member
Bit of a strange one, here.

When I'm browsing YouTube I'll usually hit the mouse wheel button to open a video in a new tab while I continue to browse. However sometimes Windows seems to change what it does, as it enables the scroll function. As you can see here -

wYtH7KF.png

This scroll function is not something I ever want (the mouse wheel is there for a reason) and it's very irritating. It does still work if I click on the title of a video but of course the image of the video is easier to hit as I'm looking down through the page. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how to stop it?

I have a Roccat Kone Pure Ultra with the Roccat Swarm software installed if that matters, but I suspect not. Perhaps it's some key combination I'm unwittingly hitting?

It sounds like the issue might be related to your mouse settings or drivers, rather than a Windows setting. Have you checked the settings in the Roccat Swarm software to see if there are any options related to the mouse wheel behavior? Some mouse drivers allow you to customize the behavior of the mouse wheel button, such as assigning it to a different function or disabling it entirely.

If you can't find any settings in the Roccat Swarm software, you can also try checking the mouse settings in Windows. To do this, open the Settings app and go to Devices > Mouse. From there, you can adjust various settings related to your mouse, including the scroll wheel behavior. Make sure that the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" option is turned off, as this may be causing the scroll function to activate when you don't want it to.

If neither of these options helps, it's possible that there's some other software on your computer that's interfering with your mouse settings. Try closing any unnecessary programs and see if the issue persists. You could also try disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse to see if that resets anything.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Loathe though I am to respond to a bot, the button is set in Roccat Swarm to Universal Scrolling. If I disable it, it disables it also in Windows. There are some functions in Swarm to have it open a folder or program or window but not specifically to open a link in a new tab in Firefox, sadly. And yet for 95% of the time I'm using it, that's exactly what it does.

Edit - I tell a lie, there is a function for that, but it's not ideal for me as it directly switches to the new tab as it opens instead of opening the tab in the background and allowing me to continue to browse. I'm being picky, I know.

Another Edit - It's happening right now in YouTube, yet if I use it to click on a link on any other random website, it opens them in the background as it should. So it's relegated entirely to YouTube, it seems.

It's happening to me as well. Youtube only, thye would probably tell you it's another braindead feature like removing the dislike count and not a bug.

Back
Top Bottom