Windows 7 Moving default location of folders on a fresh install

delciotto

Ok i got a SSD awhile back and was able to install windows on it and have my users folder and default install folder on my normal HDD. It has worked ok till now but I'm sure i screwed a few things up when i did it because random programs still try to install on my SSD and when the install makes the shortcuts, the paths for them are usually the wrong drive. I want to do a fresh install now, but i wanna do this correctly this time. Can someone give me a link to a step by step guide on how to make it so ONLY the windows folder in on the SSD and every thing else that actually takes up a lot of room on the drives goes on my larger HDD. edit: why wont it let me make separate paragraphs, it just smooshes it into a single one.

First of all, create a system restore point (preferably backup to a system image just in case):
Create a System Restore Point in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

Move User folder:
How to Change User Profile Default Location in Windows 7 | Windows7hacker

Move Program Files:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Just to note,

Can someone give me a link to a step by step guide on how to make it so ONLY the windows folder in on the SSD and every thing else that actually takes up a lot of room on the drives goes on my larger HDD.

when you boot the OS, it's loading much from User and other folders including from Program Files. So if you move them from SSD to SATA --> you'll get a slower boot.

I think it's not worth it.

for the moving program files link, would i have to do the copy/delete thing for the program files (x86) folder too?

Back
Top Bottom