MS Security Essentials released?

Master Chief

I just got an update to the public beta, bringing me to...

Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1500.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.0.6212.0
Engine Version: 1.1.4903.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.63.1637.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.63.1637.0

Is this the stable release?

Interesting as mine shows no updates available...connect page also says nothing new. :frown:

UPDATE:
Got a new one today, same as yours except definitions are newer of course..

Last edited:
That is the release I have been using since the 2nd July. Definition updates come daily. It is still in Beta but I have had no instability.

When I first installed it I tested it against AvgFree and Avast free. It found one or two minor items which the others had not spotted. I use it as my only antimalware program now. It uses less resources than the other two, and is unobtrusive.

You can download it from alternative sources, Drew. But I am not certain if you will receive the very important definition updates. My understanding is that you will.

I don't know which release I am using, but I went through an update this past week.
If I remember, when I get home i will post version numbers that I am on.

Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1407.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.0.5612.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.63.1710.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.63.1710.0

Here is the version that I am currently using. I have received no notice from Microsoft concerning GA. As far as I know, the status is still beta. It does seem to be quite stable, not "in your face", yet it offers active protection. Warns you before downloading something that many others would require you perform a manual or scheduled scan to identify. So far, I'm liking it.

Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1500.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.0.6212.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.63.1710.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.63.1710.0

Have just been updated to the version shown above. No indication that this is a final or GA version.

edit - FYI to whomever is questioning: Security Essentials that is downloaded from "alternative sources" does update just as when downloaded from Microsoft site.

Last edited:
Definition Updates

Have u guys noticed, after the version update, if the Virus definitions get updated? Mine shows the last two definition updates as "failed"....it installed the last one I got today....just trying to see if its anything in my settings etc?

Many thanks for the assistance

Have u guys noticed, after the version update, if the Virus definitions get updated? Mine shows the last two definition updates as "failed"....it installed the last one I got today....just trying to see if its anything in my settings etc?

Many thanks for the assistance

Not specifically as a result of the upgrade. Virus definitions seem to be updated daily, but not directly in connection with a version update. Check out the specs posted in this thread. I posted a before and after update list.

Virus definition updates are in conjunction with your normal Microsoft updates. I get the download daily (which is very quick - usually 2 - 3Mbs) as soon as I open my computer.

This is my latest view:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Latest screenshot

Included here is the latest build as of 8-29-2009. Attached is a screenshot with version number, etc.

If any are interested, I have noticed that the application is available through download. com. As far as I can tell, this version is still a beta version. I don't find much information about version updates, etc.

Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Hi John,
that's the version i got the other day (yesterday). I like it. Simple, neat and seems to do the job. I've also noticed a faster boot time using this as apposed to say AVG.. Just to add extra security i'm running Threatfire along side too and both compliment each other very well...

Security essential test

Long story short! Last week I had two items of malware discovered on my computer by Security Essentials with a threat level of moderate. I disabled Security Essentials (without removing the threats) and installed Avast (free version) then ran a scan. Avast found no problems. After much difficulty getting Avast uninstalled, I installed AVG (free version). AVG found no problems. I uninstalled AVG and re-enabled Security Essentials and ran another scan (all these scans were "full computer scans" requiring 5 to 7 hours each) and the two original threats remained and were then removed by Security Essentials.

Now I realize that this short and non-scientific test doesn't really prove a significant conclusion, but it surely does make Microsoft Security Essentials look like it did not come from the same cubical in Redmond as Vista and the Office 7 ribbon.

Last edited:
While I agree it's plain and simple to use, the only way to disable it (if one needs to) appears to be to uninstall it. That part I am not happy with. Other than that, no complaints.

While I agree it's plain and simple to use, the only way to disable it (if one needs to) appears to be to uninstall it. That part I am not happy with. Other than that, no complaints.

Open Security Essentials, click "settings" tab, uncheck the box "Turn on real time protection (recommended)", click "save changes" at the bottom of window - done. Recheck the "real time protection" box to re-activate.

That's how I disabled it.

Back
Top Bottom