Windows 7 MS Security Essentials slows down PC at startup

woeisme

I have been having problems with MS Security Essentials Anti-Virus. When the computer starts up i notice it to be very slow, i cannot access network links and i notice that the network icon does not load until i end "MsMpEng.exe" which i know is related to MSE.

I have seen this on numerous client computers running XP & Win7 at different locations. I have down malware scan and spyware scans and all is clean.

I have taken off this AV in the meantime until it gets fixed (re-installing MSE does not help). I just want to know if anyone have come across this before and is there a fix/workaround?

I am guessing windows has done some updates or MSE Has done a faulty update to cause this.

I have been having problems with MS Security Essentials Anti-Virus. When the computer starts up i notice it to be very slow, i cannot access network links and i notice that the network icon does not load until i end "MsMpEng.exe" which i know is related to MSE.

I have seen this on numerous client computers running XP & Win7 at different locations. I have down malware scan and spyware scans and all is clean.

I have taken off this AV in the meantime until it gets fixed (re-installing MSE does not help). I just want to know if anyone have come across this before and is there a fix/workaround?

I am guessing windows has done some updates or MSE Has done a faulty update to cause this.
Yo... Woe;
Welcome to the forum.
There are some known issues, under certain conditions with Microsoft Security Essentials, for instance;
This problem with Lenovo Re: Access Connections Problems With Windows 7 and... - Lenovo Community
Generally, across the board, MSE is a very un-intrusive, small foot print, easy on system resources, anti virus solution so when you see problems like you are having crop up, you may want to look at the whole picture and see if you can determine what may be causing the slow down. They can be extremely difficult to detect but it may be worth your efforts.
I have not heard of any problems with recent updates/signature releases, although seems like all vendors manage to do something like that sooner or later.
Regards
Randy

Suggest you look @ msconfig for things running in the background @ Start-up that may be causing your slowdown. 1 of the 1st things to do in a situation like this run chkdsk /r/f as Admin & sfc /scannow. It is highly unlikely MSE is the culprit.

Drew

I have to agree with the other members, I've never seen MSE drag down a computer to this date. Usually, once installed & updated, it speeds it up, especially if a "heavy" AV/IS suite was previously installed.

MSE is perhaps the lightest AV on the market, even on my low spec desktop, doing a full scan only used about 25 to 30% of the CPU & less than 2GB of my installed 4GB RAM(with whatever other services were running).

I recommend it to all who asks me about a good, free AV that won't bog their computer down. You can open up the Task Manager while MSE is running, to see what processes are going on. Usually, the answer will be in there somewhere, as it clearly shows how much resources each process is using. Perhaps a out of date software that's not needed anyway? At any rate, something's running wide open that shouldn't be.

And don't forget the obvious. Defragging your computer makes a difference. As well as unloading all of those no longer needed temp files that may be lingering around.

If all else fails, a clean install may be the answer. All of the members above remembers when I was trying to install ESET Smart Security on 2 different computers (within the last week), clean installs solved all. As long as there's not an underlying hardware issue, clean installs solves 90+% of computer software issues, including AV/IS installs.

Best of Luck,
Cat

I just had the same problem with Microsoft Security Essentials bogging down my computer making it boot up much slower than usual and also caused Internet Explorer 9 to lock up and not respond as well. Removing and re-installing MSE did not solve my problems. My problems with MSE didn't start occuring until yesterday, 08/13/2012. After I uninstalled MSE again one more final time, my computer is booting up normally as fast as it did before, and I no longer have problems with Internet Explorer 9 not responding any more either.

Tom,

Extremely weird, rare & unexpected to have (such) problems rooted to MSE. For myself & all my customers, have never seen such a thing. Since security is needed, have you re-installed MSE (latest version)? This sort of behavior is often attributed to things like Norton but, not MSE.

Regards,
Drew

Tom,

Extremely weird, rare & unexpected to have (such) problems rooted to MSE. For myself & all my customers, have never seen such a thing. Since security is needed, have you re-installed MSE (latest version)? This sort of behavior is often attributed to things like Norton but, not MSE.

Regards,
Drew

I did go to Microsoft website to re-install the latest version of MSE, and still this didn't do anything to remedy the problems I was having. I also noticed that the MSE software was alerting me on more than one occasion that I needed to validate that I was using a genuine copy of Windows. That is what clued me in that the computer problems I was experiencing were probably originating from a recent revision of MSE, and must be a glitch in the latest MSE software revision, since I've never encountered problems like that previously on my computer.

This used to happen to me with one of the older versions. The detection engine would add 2 minutes (timed through Soluto) to my startup time, the only solution at the time was to uninstall. Occurred several times on the same computer before an update fixed the problem.

Hello. Sorry my broken English, I'm from Russia :) I had that problems with MS Security Essentials Anti-Virus. The reason was the program Remote Desktop (Ammyy Admin or Team Viewer or ...). I've added it to the exceptions MSE. And I haven't problems with MSE. 1.jpg2.jpg

I discovered that my slow boot up problems were not caused as I thought they were by Microsoft Security Essentials, but were due in actuality from my hard drive failing. Since this was my second hard drive I originally put into my home desktop computer I built myself as well as my PC being over 3 years old, I went ahead and built another home desktop computer to replace it. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium OS and have MSE back installed on it with no similiar issues what so ever to speak of.

The program must be out dated. Update MSE and then check is still slow then check and remove temporary files. Also go for Disk Defragment.

Hi everyone,. I've just joined this forum to post on this exact problem I'm having.

I've been frustrated that after reaching the Windows 7 desktop my wireless internet USB dongle takes ~2mins to be recognised by Windows. I thought this was a hardware problem but I've noticed that during these 2 minutes, the MSE icon is red, mousing over it, it reads "PC status: unprotected".

After the ~2mins, the icon changes to green ("PC status: protected) and the programs in my startup (basically just a temp monitor) loads up, as does my wireless connection.

I'd consider re-installing MSE but given other users posts here, that doesn't seem like it will work.

For what it's worth, my wireless dongle connects instantly on the Windows 8 customer pre-release version on the same SSD drive (on a different partition).

Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
i7 950 @ 3.2GHz
8GB RAM
1.25GB 570 GT
120GB SSD

Any solutions would be very appreciated!

Hi Everyone,

I have experienced the same issue as the original poster specified. My computer takes about 5-10 minutes to fully startup after I see the desktop screen. I checked the processes tab and when my computer starts up at the desktop screen MSE is taking up the most resources.

I uninstalled MSE and the problem was fixed. Went to Microsoft website and downloaded latest MSE version and reinstalled and the problem returned...

I checked my Disk defrag and it is at 9%, I wouldn't think this would require a defrag...?

Anyway, I am going to uninstall and wait a few days and try it again... Maybe MS will have found a solution?

My problem started happening on 9/17/2013.

Thanks to everyone who posts suggestions and what not on the forum. Very helpful information.

Randy

Randy,

You refer to MSE. Ergo, I take it this is not Windows 8 w/ Windows Defender. I'm suggesting the same thing regardless of the OS but, you (can) reach it differently in Win7 as opposed to Win8.

Win7:
In Search or RUN, type msconfig
> Startup Tab
Disable anything listed there that shows as Enabled

Win8:
> Task Manager > Startup Tab
Disable anything listed there that shows as Enabled

Reboot & note any change to what you describe.

There may be other issues or root causes. But, let's see what the above does 1st. Not wise to run w/out MSE installed unless the machine is not on the Net.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg .1

Back