Windows 10 Multiple BSODS throughout weeks. Hardware checked.

Just noticed
<Item><![CDATA[Processor]]></Item>
<Value><![CDATA[AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4014 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)]]></Value>
</Data>
<Data>

Thats wrong, it should be 4 cores 8 Logical processors .

Capture.PNG

Just noticed
<Item><![CDATA[Processor]]></Item>
<Value><![CDATA[AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4014 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)]]></Value>
</Data>
<Data>

Thats wrong, it should be 4 cores 8 Logical processors .

View attachment 34132
Should I record another dump if that came out incorrectly?

A bios setting controls that, I'm interested to see what Kemical thinks before suggesting anything that could complicate things.

A bios setting controls that, I'm interested to see what Kemical thinks before suggesting anything that could complicate things.
When I did receive the BSOD I was in the middle of running benchmarks and testing to overclock my GPU. When the BSOD happened I reverted my settings to their original.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {ffffa890b2c42960, 0, fffff80c44431925, 2}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+fa1925 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
I'm pretty sure your issue is due to the gpu driver as it's everywhere and the process being used at the time was MSI Afterburner which has known BSOD issues with Windows.
If the bsod stopped once you returned to default clocks then there's a very good chance that either Afterburner or the overclock (or both) was the main culprit.

You seem to have had a new driver appear as i don't remember this from before:

anodlwfx.sys Fri Mar 6 10:10:08 2009: ALPHA Networks Filter Driver please update:
明泰科技 Alpha Networks Inc.

Regarding the strange CPU settings @nmsuk found, I checked your other files like the dxdiag and dump files and they show 4 cores - 8 processors as per normal. I wonder if the file that's showing only 2 cores is corrupted.
If you open Task manager (right click on Task Bar), click on Performance along the top and then Open resource monitor near the bottom. Look for CPU in the Resource Monitor and click that. You should now be able to see all the processors at work.
I did a screenshot to show you how:
settings.jpg

The red arrow points to a stack in the dump file and you can see the GPU driver appearing over and over again but like I said above if it only crashes when overclocked then reduce it (the overclock).

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {ffffa890b2c42960, 0, fffff80c44431925, 2}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+fa1925 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
I'm pretty sure your issue is due to the gpu driver as it's everywhere and the process being used at the time was MSI Afterburner which has known BSOD issues with Windows.
If the bsod stopped once you returned to default clocks then there's a very good chance that either Afterburner or the overclock (or both) was the main culprit.

You seem to have had a new driver appear as i don't remember this from before:

anodlwfx.sys Fri Mar 6 10:10:08 2009: ALPHA Networks Filter Driver please update:
明泰科技 Alpha Networks Inc.

Regarding the strange CPU settings @nmsuk found, I checked your other files like the dxdiag and dump files and they show 4 cores - 8 processors as per normal. I wonder if the file that's showing only 2 cores is corrupted.
If you open Task manager (right click on Task Bar), click on Performance along the top and then Open resource monitor near the bottom. Look for CPU in the Resource Monitor and click that. You should now be able to see all the processors at work.
I did a screenshot to show you how:
View attachment 34133

The red arrow points to a stack in the dump file and you can see the GPU driver appearing over and over again but like I said above if it only crashes when overclocked then reduce it (the overclock).
There's my CPU. I'm not sure where that 明泰科技 Alpha Networks Inc. driver came from as I did not update or add new drivers.
Processors.png

I'm not sure where that 明泰科技 Alpha Networks Inc. driver came from as I did not update or add new drivers.
Well as you can see it's there so either update or remove it please.

When you have been overclocking have you made any changes in the bios?

Also you see the page i have open in Task manager above?

It lists what cores you have ect.

Please take a screenshot of that page.

Simply open Task manager and click on Performance, then click on CPU.

Post screenshot of details

Run these scans
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Well as you can see it's there so either update or remove it please.

When you have been overclocking have you made any changes in the bios?

Also you see the page i have open in Task manager above?

It lists what cores you have ect.

Please take a screenshot of that page.

Simply open Task manager and click on Performance, then click on CPU.

Post screenshot of details

Run these scans
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.
I didn't alter the BIOS in any way, I only used MSI Afterburner. As for running sfc /scannow twice, it did not find any errors. For the 明泰科技 Alpha Networks Inc. driver, I could not find it in my device manager. If it's related to anodlwfx.sys would I have to locate it and remove it? Lots of questions here, sorry. Just hoping to figure out whats going on.

Attachments

• Processors2.png
    Processors2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 430
As for running sfc /scannow twice, it did not find any errors
Did you run the DISM part too as it's not exactly the same as running scannow twice?

In any case, your CPU normally has 4 cores which carry 2 processors each making an eight core chip. Task Manager is reporting that two of the cores aren't running or are turned off.
Device manager I note is showing an eight core processor.
2core.JPG

I've seen this happen with a corrupted operating system which is why I wanted you to run the scans.

Open the run app, type msconfig, click ok and from the revealed box look for 'Boot' followed by advanced options.
Just see if it looks the same as mine:
cpu.JPG

Please go into the bios and click the optimised defaults key.

Once you've done that go back into the bios and check to see if all cores are enabled.

If all the cores are enabled in the bios but not in windows then it could down to os corruption and ideally you need to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. This has to be a clean install meaning no upgrade which to be honest is an awful process and i wish Microsoft would find a better way of doing things.
If you need to obtain the Windows 10 iso in order to create a disk or usb then use Microsofts media creation tool:
Windows 10

Did you run the DISM part too as it's not exactly the same as running scannow twice?

In any case, your CPU normally has 4 cores which carry 2 processors each making an eight core chip. Task Manager is reporting that two of the cores aren't running or are turned off.
Device manager I note is showing an eight core processor.
View attachment 34137

I've seen this happen with a corrupted operating system which is why I wanted you to run the scans.

Open the run app, type msconfig, click ok and from the revealed box look for 'Boot' followed by advanced options.
Just see if it looks the same as mine:
View attachment 34138

Please go into the bios and click the optimised defaults key.

Once you've done that go back into the bios and check to see if all cores are enabled.

If all the cores are enabled in the bios but not in windows then it could down to os corruption and ideally you need to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. This has to be a clean install meaning no upgrade which to be honest is an awful process and i wish Microsoft would find a better way of doing things.
If you need to obtain the Windows 10 iso in order to create a disk or usb then use Microsofts media creation tool:
Windows 10
I'll be working on the BIOS defaults when the Windows 10 ISO is finished downloading. My boot options look like this and I ran both CMD scans you requested. Nothing was found in terms of violations or errors

*Note: I was looking around to see if people had the same issue as I with the 4 cores rather than 8 and saw this FX 8350 only showing 4 cores - [Solved] - CPUs - Tom's Hardware Any way to confirm this to be true?
Boot.png

Last edited:
Hi,
look under your advanced boot options and it say's you have 4 processors or cpu's when in actual fact you only have one.

If you tick the checkbox for 'number of processors' you can change it back to 1, uncheck the box and click apply.

After the reboot open up Task manager and look under cpu. Hopefully your missing cores will have returned.

Hi,
look under your advanced boot options and it say's you have 4 processors or cpu's when in actual fact you only have one.

If you tick the checkbox for 'number of processors' you can change it back to 1, uncheck the box and click apply.

After the reboot open up Task manager and look under cpu. Hopefully your missing cores will have returned.
All 8 are visible now! Now to make sure no BSODS happen what else should I do for now? I'll keep you informed if anything happens afterwards.
Nice.png

All 8 are visible now! Now to make sure no BSODS happen what else should I do for now? I'll keep you informed if anything happens afterwards.
Excellent, good job! :)

Now just monitor the situation, if another blue screen occurs please post the dump file. I don't think there's any need to re-install Windows unless you really want to but generally just keep an eye on the temperatures for now.

Hope all goes well.. :)

Excellent, good job! :)

Now just monitor the situation, if another blue screen occurs please post the dump file. I don't think there's any need to re-install Windows unless you really want to but generally just keep an eye on the temperatures for now.

Hope all goes well.. :)
Thanks! My board is running at 96 degrees F on a minor load, fans are audible. It's been a while since I dusted out my computer so I'll do so ASAP.

Back