Windows 10 Multiple Personality BSOD

Rafi

Hello all-

I reluctantly turn to the online forum community for help, as I like to fix things myself, though I really am stuck here. I appreciate your assistance in advance!

I have a dell inspiron 15 which i bought only 2.5 years ago. Around 7 months ago, i noticed it began BSOD'ing occasionally , and I'm pretty sure it was from tilting it or having it make any semi-sudden movements. So from then on, my laptop became my desktop, and i stopped carrying it..anywhere.

The next issue I noticed was that when watching a movie on my comp, it got very hot.

Additionally, many times I would restart my computer, and i would hear the computer start up, but the screen just remained black.

I updated to windows 10 last month (as well as updating my bios), hoping it would help fix the issues. Since then there has been a new development. When my computer's display turns off from inactivity (the computer still running normal (not sleeping/hibernating)) I am able to hear a whirling drive noise go on and off..like a disk revving up, then stopping...revving up....then stopping.. Never effected anything, just made interesting noises. As soon as the display turns on again, the noise stops.

Lastly, over the last 24 hours, I have been running into BSOD nonstop. I can continually restart my comp and ever 10 restarts or so i can succesfully log back into my comp, though it usually BSOD within the following 3 hours.

I did a bugcheck for the few bsod's i was able to and I got the following causes:

unexepected store exception
ntldll.dll
error code 0xc00000e9

Additionally i saw some "Critical process failed"s, and some "Criticall process died"s.

I just managed to pull of the diagnostic program...it's attached

Attachments

• W7F_03-01-2016.zip
    454.1 KB · Views: 364
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck EF, {ffffe000bd9407c0, 0, 0, 0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
the above dump file means a critical process was terminated for whatever reason. although it's blaming csrss.exe:
Client/Server Runtime Subsystem, or csrss.exe, is a component of the Windows NT family of operating systems that provides the user mode side of the Win32 subsystem and is included in Windows NT 4 and later. Because most of the Win32 subsystem operations have been moved to kernel modedrivers in Windows NT 4 and later, CSRSS is mainly responsible for Win32 console handling and GUI shutdown. It is critical to system operation; therefore, terminating this process will result in system failure. Under normal circumstances, CSRSS cannot be terminated with the taskkill command or with Windows Task Manager, although it is possible in Vista if the Task Manager is run in Administrator mode. On Windows 7 and later, Task Manager will inform the user that terminating the process will result in system failure, and prompt if they want to continue. Some virus hoax emails claim that csrss.exe is a virus that has been confirmed by Microsoft, and that the user should terminate it immediately. This, obviously, would actually lead to system failure and a blue screen of death
Client/Server Runtime Subsystem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I checked your system support page at Dell and discovered this:
nope.JPG

If it isn't possible to cure the bsod then you may need to consider going back to your former operating system. I only hope your install of Windows 10 isn't any older than 31days otherwise you cannot.

I notice your running Superantispyware. Try removing this app ( another reason to remove is that it's dated 2011) especially if it was installed and running at the time of upgrade. Just use the default Defender app for now as this is super stable. The Windows 10 version is actually an almost direct copy of Microsofts server AV and is better than previous generations.

Drivers.
Drivers for laptops are specifically supplied by the manufacturer apart from some gpu drivers. Using other versions may lead to blue screens although checking your system support page I see they only go up to Windows 8. Even so this is still better than nothing and in fact the leap from win 8 to win 10 isn't so huge so you might be ok. Use the support page to update your drivers. I would update everything:
The chipset driver however you'll have to get from the Windows 7 section. Your current driver is dated 2010 and is far too old for windows 10. Use the Windows 7 section chipset driver as at least thats dated 2013:
Product Support | Dell US

Regarding the whirring noise, that could be a number of things but is probably a system fan or HDD. Use a small fine paintbrush and remove any dust build up from the vents.

Run a chkdsk:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10
Whichever method you use in the guide above make sure you check for and repair broken sectors.

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

As you keep running into a bsod loop at start up why not create a recovery disk/USB once you gain access? You would be able to boot from it and enter the recovery console. In fact if my above suggestions don't work I will be asking you to run the driver verifier so please create one anyway.
Creating a recovery drive - Windows Help -
If the above suggestions do not stop the bsod then run the driver verifier but you must first create a recovery drive in case you get into a bsod loop. You'll need it to boot into recovery, safe mode then turn the verifier off.
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

Please post any resulting dump files.

Last edited:
I really do not want to downgrade from windows 10, as I had noticed significant speed differences since the download. But I need to, i would need to do it very soon, as the one month deadline is very close.

Firstly, i did attempt to update the drivers for my computer. After every driver download on the dell page you linked, windows told me "you are trying to downlaod a driver older than the one you already have..." So i said "no" to every download. The one that did work was the usb driver, which i actually had serious issues with previously, and it now works much better.

I also had a BSOD since the drivers download attempts. DMP file attached.

Chckdsk came out clean
Defragmented the drive as well
Both file scans were clean
I removed the anti spyware (also before the bsod happened).

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• W7F_04-01-2016.zip
    482.1 KB · Views: 266
Update: Irealized i didn't try the driver verifier. I made the cmd, and now i get in a bsod loop...I did make a bootable usb drive. What do i do and what happened to my computer? lol

You'll need it to boot into recovery, safe mode then turn the verifier off.
Change the boot order and boot from the usb. Once into recovery enviroment go into safe mode and turn the verifier off.
Any other ideas?
Not really. Either your computer is compatible or it isn't. I'll check this other dump file but ultimately it's going to come down to same issue regarding drivers.

Code:

Same again. When you have access to the machine once the verifier is turned off please post that dump file as hopefully it will have the name of the offending driver.

how do i boot from the usb? It gives me several option...system restore, system imgae recovery, startup repair, cmd prompt...recover from a drive. I figure the latter, but it says it "will remove all your files and apps". Were they backep up on the recovery drive?

If i simply restart windows from the usb, it goes into the bsod loop.

Yay! I'm back in my computer!

Here's my dump file ! (I realized it overwrote over the previous files with the same name...

Whadaya say doc?

Attachments

• W7F_04-01-2016 (2).zip
    497.6 KB · Views: 375
Code:

Hi,
same again. I had a look through your drivers and you could try updating these to later versions if possible:

adfs.SYS Thu Jun 26 21:52:37 2008: Adobe File System Driver. Please update whichever adobe product your using.
Adobe UK: Creative, marketing and document management solutions

btath_bus.sys Wed Jul 20 03:59:56 2011: BlueTooth driver. A later version (although for windows 7) is on your support page:

CtClsFlt.sys Mon Jun 15 06:06:41 2009: Creative Camera Class Upper Filter Driver please either update or remove:
Creative Worldwide Support

dtsoftbus01.sys Fri Jan 13 13:45:46 2012: Daemon Tools/Alcohol 100% a known troublemaker, consider removing if you no longer use it.

HECIx64.sys Wed Oct 20 00:33:43 2010: Intel Management Engine Interface. A later version is on the support page:

IntcDAud.sys Fri Oct 15 09:28:17 2010: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Driver. Later driver on support page link above.

SASDIFSV64.SYS Fri Jul 22 00:03:00 2011: SUPERAntiSpyware. If you do want to use this then please update it.

Ok they are the worst offenders, you can try updating them and see if it helps any but ultimately your without driver support so may want to consider your options.

All of the microsoft drivers which you mentioned already had newer versions on my ststem than the dell website offered, except for the management engine interface. I removed daemontools, and as of my last upload, superantispyware was removed from my computer. Are there still drivers left over?

The above drivers are the ones noted in the dump file. Plus I don't mention any 'Microsoft drivers' and I'm unsure what you mean by this. It's true that you have Microsoft drivers running but those mentioned above are not 'Microsoft'. Just like the Intel engine management driver it would be better if you can update the others mentioned.

What I Meant when I said microsoft drivers are the ones supplied by the dell support website..sorry.

I don't understand it, but i do see the file which says those dell drivers are out of date, but when I go to device manager on my computer and look at the drivers, it shows that they are up to date.
Plus, When I download the drivers on the dell site, I get a message that "im installing older drivers than I already have.

The computer was runnig pretsmoothly today, until it crashed 5 minutes ago. Diagnostic attached.

The minidump points to ntkrnlmp.exe?

I removed more programs which I don't use, and am down to the most essential programs for me. Am having trouble actually finding the driver updates on the non-dell websites mentioned...Will keep trying.

And - i think that funny spinning noise when the display turns off stopped over the past day youve been helping. Not sure why...

Attachments

• W7F_05-01-2016.zip
    510.3 KB · Views: 255
Code:

Hi,
same again I'm afraid. Don't forget that you cannot use third party drivers from other sites. They have to be Dell drivers apart from say the gpu driver of which AMD and Nvidia produce versions for laptops.

Try running a chkdsk, make sure you check for and repair broken sectors.:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Do you have a restore point you can go back to before the bsod started (in windows 10)?

As i said above without adequate driver support your on somewhat shaky ground and your options are limited. You could try a Reset which may settle things down but if that doesn't work i would seriously consider going back to your original os before time runs out.

Did you say you uninstalled Superantispyware? Still there lol..

Hi,

I did uninstall superanti-spyware. How do i get it's traces off my system?

I I removed additional programs, including thone from creative, and things seem to be better. Is there a way to test if the problem is gone, or do I have to just wait and see if it crashes (i'd like to know if its fixed before my windows 7 time runs out)? It's been running smoothly for 12 hours...I also did the dell 40 minute didagnostic test and memory stress test, and it worked through them both.

I already did a chckdsk, by your advice earlier.

Things were running well, then today i got 3 bsod's in a row! Posted...

Attachments

• W7F_12-01-2016.zip
    555.9 KB · Views: 477
  • W7F_12-01-2016 a.zip
    646.7 KB · Views: 272
  • W7F_11-01-2016 - A.zip
    635.2 KB · Views: 337
Code:

BugCheck EF, {ffffe001c660b7c0, 0, 0, 0}

Hi,
as you can see nothing has changed. A critical process died although as to what or why is unknown. At least Superantispyware looks like it's gone.. :)
As you basically have no driver support choices are limited. I dare not suggest a Reset or clean install because you don't have access to Win 10 drivers.
If your getting close to the cut off point with returning to your former os then I would suggest you go back if just for now. You can always try the upgrade again and it will give you a further 31 days to try and find a fix.

Back
Top Bottom