Windows 7 My desktop background automatically changes, how can I stop this?

It's not a bug, since millions of users do not have the same issue. Something is obviously going funky on the machine. Any software that alters or tweaks the background could be having an unwanted effect. By any chance, is there DisplayFusion or similar software installed at all?

Thank you for contacting me. Also, thanks for the clarification of what a bug is. No, I do not have DisplayFusion on my machine, nor am I aware of any other similar software. I do have some additional information that I just discovered while answering a previous post that might help clarify the issue.

In order to see the images making up the themes I am dealing with, I have to go into the Personalize screen, select that theme, then go down to the bottom left icon called "Desktop Background". When I click on the unknown/unsaved theme, I get a second screen that identifies this theme's location as C:\Users\ . . . \AppData\Roaming\Webshots\The Webshots Desktop (1) When I click on the Browse button and reset the location to my image folder on the C drive, it changes to my image set, but, again, this choice does not hold. By the time I save the changes to this screen, and close the Personalize screen, the unknown/unsaved theme is again active, instead of my Maureen2 theme. So I guess this theme is no longer unknown, as it seems to be coming from Webshots, which is a big relief to me as I could not understand where these images were originating. I must be missing some flag or setting that would keep Webshots from overriding my preferred theme, Maureen2. I still just don't understand why the settings I keep changing do not hold. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Maureen
[email protected]

It's not a bug, since millions of users do not have the same issue. Something is obviously going funky on the machine. Any software that alters or tweaks the background could be having an unwanted effect. By any chance, is there DisplayFusion or similar software installed at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I have windows 7 and I can choose a desktop wallpaper and put it to use easily, but whenever I shut off my computer and turn it back on, Windows defaults to some random image that I once had as my desktop background but chose to get rid of. This is such a minute issue that you'd think it's something that Microsoft would have noticed and made easier to deal with, but it looks like they didn't :mad:. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's easy to change the wallpaper using Windows' functions but it is more simple to use an wallpaper changer program to do that. It takes only 5 seconds and you have to take 1 single step not more to customize your desktop background. I tried this program Bionix Wallpaper Changer and it is pretty amazing: Change the desktop background wallpaper on Windows

I have windows 7 and I can choose a desktop wallpaper and put it to use easily, but whenever I shut off my computer and turn it back on, Windows defaults to some random image that I once had as my desktop background but chose to get rid of. This is such a minute issue that you'd think it's something that Microsoft would have noticed and made easier to deal with, but it looks like they didn't :mad:. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have been working on this same problem off an on for many months, more off than on because it was more of a nuisance than a problem. I finally figured it out. It has nothing to do with a virus on the system nor the windows display settings. In my case it was simply the software that controls my display driver. My system uses nView. There is a setting for Virtual Desktop Editor in which there is a Default desktop that when you change the properties, it contains a default desktop background. I made background change there and the problem of it changing after a reboot or even simply changing randomly went away.

I finally figured it out.
If you have that tiny annoying bing window on your computer that wont close, just press the tiny 3 dot menu on the tiny bottom left corner.
it'll say something like keep changing the background every 24 hours next to a checkbox.
just uncheck the checkbox.

Back