Windows 7 My external HD

Craig Robertson

I have a Toshiba PX 1394-3G500 External HD which was great for all my music, films,family pic,etc. It worked fine in Win XP Pro but now I have installed Win Ultimate 64 bit, it won't recognise it. So I can't access my pics, which is a real bummer !! Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated Thanks in advance

Did you check to see if the external was supported in Windows 7 or if there were drivers available?
Joe

The 1394 designation in your model information above almost certainly denotes a firewire connected device, so...
Make sure you have the proper chipset and any other MoBo associated drivers for Windows 7 installed that may help support the device connection.

The 1394 designation in your model information above almost certainly denotes a firewire connected device, so...
Make sure you have the proper chipset and any other MoBo associated drivers for Windows 7 installed that may help support the device connection.
Desktop PC and it was connected to it by cable not firewire. Thing is can it's content be retrieved by an expert? Lot of persomal pics om there.

Check with your PC manufacturer's or Motherboard manufacturer's website, for chipset drivers, bios updates, or other driver updates for Windows 7. Firewire connectivity is a cable, do you have a link for that particular external drive that we can look at?

Last edited:
Desktop PC and it was connected to it by cable not firewire. Thing is can it's content be retrieved by an expert? Lot of persomal pics om there.

If you suspect that for some reason the attached cabling for the enclosure no longer works, then yes, normally the drive can be removed from the enclosure and it's associated interface and can be connected by means of a seperate IDE or SATA adapter. I would first make sure that, that is the case, by testing it on another computer or two, just to make sure.

Can't tell a great deal from that link other than apparently it is a USB connected external component. Have you been able to test the drive by attaching it to another computer. Also by using the actual Motherboard USB ports, rather than a port that is piped through a hub or front panel cable. Is the drive making any stranges noises when powered up? If you suspect either the cable or the associated drive enclosure electronics to be at fault then you should be able to remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it using something similar to this Newegg.com - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter to recover your files. Assuming there is nothing physically wrong with the actual drive mechanics or interface controller board

Back