Windows 10 My First Malware in Years...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Today Windows Defender came up with Malware for the first time ever!
It found "Trojan:Win32/peals.flcl" When I looked at the location it said it was in a file called Desktop Lara that's been on my computer for years.

If offered to remove it so I did.

I then ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as well.
Both came up clean.

I also removed the program which I almost never turn on anyway.
I've had this program on my computers since the 90s.

I noticed starting last night that my computer was taking a long time to shut down.
Normally it shuts down almost immediately.

I looked in Task Manager and didn't find anything running before I shut down except Malwarebytes.

When I searched for Trojan:Win32/peals.flcl online I found all kinds of offers for software that would remove it, I never do that unless it's from Microsoft.

Anyway this is the first positive hit that Windows Defender has ever had on my computer in at least 6 years.

Mike

If you have the files quarantined you can upload them to virustotal.com. Even so it can be a false positive.

Hi Neem

I started checking and found that my computer was running really hot.
I opened it up and it didn't look that dirty inside but the temps were over 90C.

I cleaned it out and put it back together and it was still at 90C or more, about at the point when it would shut down.

So I got my Todo backup boot disk and I restored my System Image from a week ago when it was all working normally.

After restoring the temps are back down in the 60s which is higher than it was when it was new, but about normal for what it's been the last few years.

I checked and to my surprise I bought this computer 6 years ago.

I guess it's about time to get a new one, I really had no idea that it had been that long.

Surprising that I can still run most new games at high or ultimate settings.

I don't know what was going on, but something was not right, I'm noticing that the computer is running much better now.
I hadn't noticed how loggy it was, this image was only made about a week ago.

Mike

PS. temps back down in the upper 50s now.

I would agree 60 is high especially if that's at idle. Have you removed the heatsink and applied new thermal paste? I imagine that would resolve the issue.

Hi

At idle it's back down in the 40s now, I checked last night after gaming for an hour and it was only up into the high 50s, that's pretty normal.

The thing is I'm not sure that it just wasn't reporting correctly last night when it said it was 100c, because when I opened it up it didn't feel hot, I grabbed the hoses and felt the pump and it was only warm to the touch, I would expect at 178 F, it would feel really hot.

I'm having an issue with Malwarebytes though, it won't let my turn on "Exploit Protection" for some reason.

I'm going to try reinstalling it and if that doesn't work I'll contact them.

Mike

Uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes worked it's back up and running normally.

I did have to go to the folder and uninstall it from there though, neither Revo or Windows could uninstall it in the normal manner.
It was like they couldn't find the installation.

I clicked the uninstall.exe in the folder and reinstalled it and it did it normally.

I just got a popup from Microsoft saying that Windows is going to update soon, I'd rather it left things alone right now. LOL

Well that was fast, I decided to restart. now that Malwarebytes is working, so it updated Windows didn't give me any choice.
Anyway everything seems to be back to normal.

Last edited:
Back