Windows 7 My head not my heart (or 0x80070005)

Nimrod

How I wish I listened to my head not my heart. I wanted Windows 7 to be a success because I like using Microsoft's software, I'm not a Mac fan simply because I never used one. A couple of months ago I bought an Acer Aspire 5810T, great computer but with Vista installed. No problem I thought, I only need wait a few months and I can upgrade to Windows 7, which I've read such great reports and reviews about. So my Windows 7 disk arrived today, sent out early in the UK by PCWorld because of a planned postal strike.

Guess what? The ugrade fails, yes that's right another 5 star screw up from Microsoft. Now I either have to do a fresh install of the operating system and then all of the applications then restore my files, or accept defeat and go and buy the Mac I was thinking about.

Windows cannot install required files. Network problems may be preventing Windows from accessing the files. Make sure the computer is connected to the Internet and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070005.

Well here's the thing, I selected to not check for any updates during the upgrade, so why the hell is it necessary to connect to the Internet?:mad:

What versions of the software are you using for the prior OS and Win 7?

I did an entire install and was never asked to connect to the net. I do uncheck the Activate when online box.

Have you checked with Acer, there may be a special procedure for your install?

Back
Top Bottom