Windows 7 My internet connection is slow, how to fix?

Hjorth

Hello!

Lately I've got the computer back from a guy who repaired it. Everything on it works fine, except the point that I have problems connection to different networks. An example is at home, where I sometimes get cut off the internet and the internet connection is really slow. I can't even play games without have freezelag where everything is stopping. Even though I got problems with my connection, other persons which is also using the internet here are not having any problems with the internet, it's only me. So it has to be something with my computer right?. I have literally tried everything now, I hope you guys can help me out :)

Hjorth:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Please take some time and read this post here http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/72212-help-us-help-you-filling-your-system-specs.html
With no information regarding your system it is very difficult to make any type of informed suggestion.
Any additional information regarding what products (hardware and software) are involved in your network, with specifics as to the adapter you are using, the router/modem you are connecting to and how you are connecting wired /wireless.
Additionally maybe why the PC was repaired and was the problem present before the repair.
These types of issues are almost always related to either a less than optimal driver for the NIC, outdated firmware on the router, or third party software causing issues with your connection. Some information from you regarding these items might help us better guess what might be going on with your connection
Regards
Randy

Hi Trouble

I will fill the information now, and hope someone can help me out :)
My computer was repaired cause of a broken cabinet. Before the repair I didn't have any problems with my internet connection. I have updated my network adapter and everything so I can't really see why Im having problems.

Last edited:
OK, seems you are using a laptop although you don't mention the Manufacturer Name, Model Name or Model Number and apparently a Atheros wireless adapter although you don't mention the current driver version installed. So.....
You don't explain the extent of the repair, when you got your laptop back from service was everything intact, all your previous profile settings, programs, etc., or was a clean install of the OS performed?
For now as a quick temporary test, access your wireless router's (which you also don't mention which one you are using) and temporarily disable wireless security (set it to open / none) and see if you have any better luck accessing the internet. Then go back in and experiment with different security try WEP, then try WPA.
Also open task manager, look at the processes tab and check the box at the bottom that says show processes for all users and see if you have mDNSresponder.exe running. If so post back and let us know.
Randy

OK, seems you are using a laptop although you don't mention the Manufacturer Name, Model Name or Model Number and apparently a Atheros wireless adapter although you don't mention the current driver version installed. So.....
You don't explain the extent of the repair, when you got your laptop back from service was everything intact, all your previous profile settings, programs, etc., or was a clean install of the OS performed?
For now as a quick temporary test, access your wireless router's (which you also don't mention which one you are using) and temporarily disable wireless security (set it to open / none) and see if you have any better luck accessing the internet. Then go back in and experiment with different security try WEP, then try WPA.
Also open task manager, look at the processes tab and check the box at the bottom that says show processes for all users and see if you have mDNSresponder.exe running. If so post back and let us know.
Randy

Im sorry for not defining the problem good enough.
The driver of the Network adapter is version 8.0.0.172. It was a clean install when it came back from service. I really don't know what type of router it is. It's from a danish firm named Telenord, that's all I know. I don't know how to temporarily disable the wireless security. And I checked the mDNSresponder.exe in the task manager, which wasn't there.

You may want to give this 9.2.0.113 driver for that card a try and see if that helps improve the issue. Make sure you select the correct file for your architecture (32 or 64bit).
And since it was a clean install, you may want to check with the computer manufacturer's website to see what drivers they may have available that are compatible with your current install often times Windows 7 will provide drivers but they can just as often be less than optimal (as I mentioned in my first post) for the actual hardware installed especially in the case of laptops.

Okay, I have downloaded the new driver for my network adapter, but I got no idea in how to install it, could you help me out?

First it's in a zip (compressed) format, so you will need to extract it first (put it into a handy folder, perhaps on your desktop and right click it and choose extract.
the extracted folder should now contain a list of files, among them should be netathr.inf (32bit driver) and or netathrx.inf (64bit driver).
Open device manager
expand network adapters
select the problem adapter, then right click and choose properties, then select the
Driver tab and then the update driver button then
Browse my computer then
Let me pick from a list then
Have disk then
click browse and find the folder that contains the extracted files and double click the appropriate .inf file
Good luck
Randy

First it's in a zip (compressed) format, so you will need to extract it first (put it into a handy folder, perhaps on your desktop and right click it and choose extract.
the extracted folder should now contain a list of files, among them should be netathr.inf (32bit driver) and or netathrx.inf (64bit driver).
Open device manager
expand network adapters
select the problem adapter, then right click and choose properties, then select the
Driver tab and then the update driver button then
Browse my computer then
Let me pick from a list then
Have disk then
click browse and find the folder that contains the extracted files and double click the appropriate .inf file
Good luck
Randy
Okay I've installed the new one now. After what problems I had before I think the problem is fixed now. But im not entirely sure yet, so I will post back if it fixed my problem :)

Last edited:
That is not an appropriate question and I cannot answer that, those decisions are yours alone to make.
My question would be "It's warning me",.... What's warning you??
What type of third party software do you have installed in the form of any firewall product or internet security suite? Are you using any third party network management software like Cisco's Network Magic?
I'm not sure what is warning you "right after I've selected the network card."
And additionally I would hope that you maintain a current backup image of your current computer state as well as a backup of all your critical data separately on external media.
All I can say is that I know others have used that particular driver successfully in the past, whether you choose to proceed or not is up to you.
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy, I installed it, and my internet connection is now super good :) I want to thank you a lot for helping me out man, I really appreciate it. Thank you a lot :)

You are more than welcome and glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the results. Don't forget, as I mentioned earlier, there may be any number of additional hardware device drivers available through the PC manufacturer's website (Chipset, Video, Audio, etc.,) that may also provide better performance in some cases, than those you may have installed currently. It might be worth looking into further is you so choose.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Best
Randy

Hi Randy it's me again. I got another problem now, the other solution was fine and worked very well. But everytime I have to use the internet, I gotta do the whole update driver thing and then it used to work. Now it's my ping, it 'jumping' all the time. When I play I get the same things as before (freeze-lag). When I watch someone stream it is stopping sometimes, I can see that it's my ping, because im on Teamspeak and over there i can see my ping. Do you know how to fix this? :)

Back